Request To Moderator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2002, 09:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Request To Moderator

Hello Jason and Grey,

I am asking that a member here who identifies himself only as 'slicemaster101' be eliminated from this forum for his repeated usage of hostile and vulgar language before the good spirit and conduct of this forum is destroyed and good and valuable members retreat.

Sincerely, Eric.

Other members please feel free to support this motion - thanks.
Old 25th May 2002, 04:25 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I skimmed through the thread. While I did find slice's response to be a hostile tirade and this should be discouraged, I also found there to be a smug and condescending tone to some of the "advice" he (she?) was given leading up to it.
Members are free to take or leave the advice they get here. No need for others to get upset if they are not listened to. Most people need to make a few of their own mistakes before they learn to listen to others.
I also feel there's no need to respond to the tirade on a sentence-by-sentence basis. Part of getting along means dealing with an angry and abusive individual without responding in kind. By responding, you are just escalating the situation.
Locking out a member is a drastic action and would set a precedent; this should be considered carefully. Much easier just to not respond.
Old 25th May 2002, 07:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Eric,
Yeah, it looked a bit rude. I responded in that thread, but as Paul noted, others were there before me.
I appreciate having things brought to my notice. I can't cover all the threads any more, and the speaker forum is one area I rarely get to these days.
People, for whatever reason, tend to come into audio with preconceived notions as to difficulty. Some think it's harder than it really is; others think it's easier than it is because they see the finished product and don't realize how many decisions were made to get there. There's often a period of readjustment as folks get up to speed.
Some make that adaptation more gracefully than others...

Grey
Old 25th May 2002, 10:40 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I say give the kid a chance. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder that is as big as Alaska, but the other kids on the forum, who he may listen to, are coming in and seem to be straightening him out.

For hifi to continue we need an influx of kids... and even when one is acting like one, we need to show a little more patience, than say if i went off the deep end.

dave
Old 25th May 2002, 11:14 PM   #5
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey, thanks...Age 16
Old 25th May 2002, 11:52 PM   #6
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Said it before

I'm 17... but..

99% of 16 & 17 year olds are complete morons. sigh...

-- Aaron
Old 25th May 2002, 11:56 PM   #7
Banned

Default Hit List

We need to get rid of that old harry haller monster. I age 17 years just reading one of his post...... I hear he keeps a collection of nose goblins.
Old 26th May 2002, 12:43 AM   #8
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Angry "... frontal lobe damage ..."

All,

when i entered this forum in February, there was no reason to post moral smartassing and negative smilies, only happy talk about DIY-audio ... .i enjoyed it so much (sigh)

I had to read twice thru the thread to be moderately sure Slicemaster101 is not a sockpuppet (as was hinted in the thread).

Noone here is blamed for his age or relative lack of knowledge, in fact most of us enthuse in giving all help possible. Some of them showing as much patience as Dave did. Compliment, Dave! Agreed, we need influx of kids.

But Slice did whine around concerning his age, lack of knowledge, migraine, whatever (i know of other forum members having heavy and almost permanent migraine or other severe health problems and i have rarely read a rude word of any of them). Whereas Slice used his minor personal shortcomings (maybe real to him, but virtual they appear to me) as an excuse to use faecal language and behave like the proverbial rat in the bucket, and xtendedly and repeatedly so. Which is a major personal shortcoming IMO.

He appeared to seek advice, but in fact the only thing he wanted is to have his opinions and prejudices backupped. Instead he got advice and blew his top on it as far as the advice deviated from his wishful thinking.

Mehopes he reads it and works on himself to improve.

Eric,
Can happen i criticize another diyAudio member now and then, can be i am tough on it. But did you observe i left the path of complaining about facts and statements and started to attack the member personally?

Do you think it was ok to discuss Slice's mental/medical condition? I would consider that utterly rude, too. I would consider that only slightly better than discussing his sister's or mother's promiscuity an other moral flaws.

C'mon, let's discuss my mental shortcomings, dare you?

Bernhard
Old 26th May 2002, 01:14 AM   #9
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Treatment

I don't deserve any special treatment because I'm 17 years old and neither does any one else of any age. Those who know more know more because they have studied more, listented more, observed more. Age should not play a factor in this forum except when immaturity comes into play, which constitutes an abuse of the dedicated people who contribute to this forum. I have too much pride to grovel on my knees: "I'm 17 years old I don't get it!! Help me or I'll complain! HELP HELP!" Absolutely not. Browse the forums, search for answers, visit dealers, ask your physics teaher, read literature, read aticles, and if the question is still unanswered, ask it, but you or me or anyone else is not *owed* a response.
Old 26th May 2002, 03:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hiya Bernard,
Quote:
C'mon, let's discuss my mental shortcomings, dare you?
I do not think that you have any such shortcomings.
You do have much knowledge and experience, and you are a gifted communicator of this, and I honour and respect you for that.

Kind regards, Eric.

Call me old fashioned, but if a youngster has the temerity to direct impertinant and inappropriate language to me, or others, I consider it neccesary to illuminate the error of his ways, and no regrets from me if his ego is dented.
Acceptable behaviour in a society or community is a learned skill, and sometimes needs to be reinforced IME.

Hide this!Advertise here!