How do you slow a fan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Please help me out. I have 10 PE fans rated at 12 VDC and .8 Amp.

I have a PE DC power supply rated at 13.8 VDC and 5 Amps.

I wanted to use 4-8 of the fans to help cool down three amps and my receiver.

The problem is when I connect one or two fans they spin VERY fast and make far, far too much noise.

What can I do to slow them down so that they are quiet enough to use.

Also should they be wired in series or parallel.

Thanks for the help.

Whats wrong with series parallel to give low voltage on them. Use 6 fans, three in series then paralleled with another three. I have rewired the fans in my computer to use 5v this keep them nice and quiet.

The fans you have could be loud noise fast spin types in which case wire 4 in series parallel. I needed to use 3.3v on one like this.

Use 5 sets of 2 fans in series and then paralell the 5 sets, that will do 6v into each fan. Or have 2 sets of 3 fans in series and the last 4 in series and paralell the 3 sets...... lower voltage 4v into the 3 fan sets and 2.4v into the 4 fan set....

If you want more control (i.e. more components and complexity) then you can go to a regulator type circuit.

K-

there's always a lowest voltage u can go before the fan stops working...I'm assuming u're using brushless fans here...wad u can do to provide more control is to use a PWM circuit...I use it on my PC to provide speed control...however I have to hack the fan speed monitor coz the MB will switch off if the fan speed drops too low...duhz...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.