copper wire insulation remover chemical

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a solvent. A local company uses it to remove the enamel from wires in a transformer ( lead out wires).
It doesn't say what the chemical is. It however has a warning on it about being dangerous if it enters the eyes.The bottle is locally made and I couldn't find out what it is made up of.
I will try to find out from the chemicals market one of these days.
My contact in the company has moved away and so I can't access the place again. It's great for thin wires.

I think it might be Methylene Chloride.

Safety: EP7771 vapors are heavier than air and will collect in low or unventilated areas. Use respiratory protection in those situations. Use face shield for eye protection and do not wear contact lenses.
Skin contact sometimes results in a stinging sensation; use solvent resistant gloves. EP7771 should be handled with respect, where adequate ventilation, personal protective gear is used and personal hygiene is practiced. See MSDS.
It boils at just under 40 deg C .

From the safety blurb it is obvious that it is a dangerous chemical to handle. If you have kids and family around you it is safer not to use such things.

Try to burn away the enamel with a small molten solder pot ------- a far safer way of doing it. It may not be too difficult to make one with some heating element from an electric iron and a small thin steel tube. You can work out the details.
Cheers.

For DIY purpose this method works very well, it was used long time ago by professionals but I think there are better methods available now.

Pour a little denaturated alcohl in a cup. Heat the end of the wires in an open flame until the enamel burns off and then dip the end of the wires in the cup with alcohol. The result is completely clean copper ends tha are very easy to solder on.

This method works very well for all size of wires, even for as thin as 0.1mm but then you have to be quick when you dip the wires otherwise they cool too much.

There is one risk with this method and that is that the alcohol catch fire but it is not very dangerous and easy to put out by covering the cup or even use water. There are no nasty chemicals involved and there is no risk of damaging the wire as it is if you use a knife.

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.