Pesky neighbours - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Default Pesky neighbours

Hi all,
DIY speaker building is all about sawing, sanding etc. I was wondering if there are any of you DIYers who have neighbours who do not appreciate your effort and talent. What do you tell them if they come and say that your circular saw or disc grinder is making too much noise.
I stay in an apartment and have to wait till all are out at work before I use my power tools. There have been a couple of instances when I had to convince my neighbours that I will use my tools for only five minutes but the operation would go on for a little longer.

Cheers,
Vivek
Old 15th June 2004, 05:47 PM   #2
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

yes i try to buy tools that are not so loud like a dremel tool.
a bench press drill small.and a jigsaw. everthing is hand sanded.
i have a orbiter sander but it's loud

if its speaker building u can get the wood cut at the lumber yard
or pre cut anyway. the rest is glue and sanding.

this i did once
Old 15th June 2004, 07:02 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, apartment living is the most difficult. You can hear all your neighbours actions
The main keys to keeping "sweet" with your neighbours is to understsnd what they want in life:
Sleep and relaxation.
If you can avoid those periods, then you stand a chance. Remember that some people sleep during the day - particularly children and shift workers.
It is very easy to fall out with your neighbours, and very hard to make up.

I am fortunate that I live in a detached house. My neighbours are some distance away. However on a visit to one of them (150m or so), I mentioned that my son was learning guitar; yes he said, we have been "enjoying" his progress.......
Old 17th June 2004, 12:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem, or at least I "feel" like I do. I live in an apartment and try to be quite just to avoid any problems. Luckily the apartment on one side is vacant, and I've memorized the other neighbors schedule, so I know when to do stuff.

But ya I feel bad using the scroll saw or drill, especially since I work at night, so using a tool or vaccuming at 11pm really isn't weird to me, but they may not appreciate it

Can't wait for the house to be done (September)! Then I can get real stuff like routers and table saws!
Old 17th June 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

get friendly with the local wood workshop, (buying wood there helps)
help out at the school, and "borrow" the facilities
people who's hobby is woodworking will usually be happy to lend/share their facilities + lend advice, in my experience.

join an evening college woodworking couse, do it there, also good for networking to find the above!

just some suggestions

EDIT: always tell you neighbours it will be an hour, they will then be happy with 10 - 15 mins. the other way round is always troublesome IMO.
Old 17th June 2004, 01:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
get friendly with the local wood workshop, (buying wood there helps)
help out at the school, and "borrow" the facilities
people who's hobby is woodworking will usually be happy to lend/share their facilities + lend advice, in my experience.
Yeezzz Mark...did not know you were that sneaky!! ;-)

Cheers,
Bas
PS. Would you be interested in a Mox crossover ? (like the one on the groupbuy)..Oh and by the way ...could I perhaps borrow your Scope?
Old 17th June 2004, 01:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you build SPEAKERS and the neighbours complain about the noise from your TOOLS then your speakers have a serious performance problem!

Regards

Charles
Old 17th June 2004, 01:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe you could surround your work area with something similar to office partitions that would absorb some of the noise. That sculptured acoustic foam rubber is pretty good. Some of that on a large sheet of wood might help.
Old 17th June 2004, 01:44 PM   #9
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
my neighbours hate me..... lets see...... complaints.... jigsaw at 11:30 at night (common, its was the weekend) music at 7:30pm.. (woke their young daughter up, oops) music at some other time (they didn't like their windows viabrating.... who knows.. lol)
Old 17th June 2004, 11:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
my neighbours hate me..... lets see...... complaints.... jigsaw at 11:30 at night (common, its was the weekend) music at 7:30pm.. (woke their young daughter up, oops) music at some other time (they didn't like their windows viabrating.... who knows.. lol)

Oh....a model citizen

Hide this!Advertise here!