Pesky neighbours

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
DIY speaker building is all about sawing, sanding etc. I was wondering if there are any of you DIYers who have neighbours who do not appreciate your effort and talent. What do you tell them if they come and say that your circular saw or disc grinder is making too much noise.
I stay in an apartment and have to wait till all are out at work before I use my power tools. There have been a couple of instances when I had to convince my neighbours that I will use my tools for only five minutes but the operation would go on for a little longer.

Cheers,
Vivek

yes i try to buy tools that are not so loud like a dremel tool.
a bench press drill small.and a jigsaw. everthing is hand sanded.
i have a orbiter sander but it's loud

if its speaker building u can get the wood cut at the lumber yard
or pre cut anyway. the rest is glue and sanding.

this i did once;)

Hmm, apartment living is the most difficult. You can hear all your neighbours actions:xeye:
The main keys to keeping "sweet" with your neighbours is to understsnd what they want in life:
Sleep and relaxation.
If you can avoid those periods, then you stand a chance. Remember that some people sleep during the day - particularly children and shift workers.
It is very easy to fall out with your neighbours, and very hard to make up.

I am fortunate that I live in a detached house. My neighbours are some distance away. However on a visit to one of them (150m or so), I mentioned that my son was learning guitar; yes he said, we have been "enjoying" his progress.......:dead:

I have the same problem, or at least I "feel" like I do. I live in an apartment and try to be quite just to avoid any problems. Luckily the apartment on one side is vacant, and I've memorized the other neighbors schedule, so I know when to do stuff.

But ya I feel bad using the scroll saw or drill, especially since I work at night, so using a tool or vaccuming at 11pm really isn't weird to me, but they may not appreciate it :devilr:

Can't wait for the house to be done (September)! Then I can get real stuff like routers and table saws!

get friendly with the local wood workshop, (buying wood there helps)
help out at the school, and "borrow" the facilities
people who's hobby is woodworking will usually be happy to lend/share their facilities + lend advice, in my experience.

join an evening college woodworking couse, do it there, also good for networking to find the above!

just some suggestions

EDIT: always tell you neighbours it will be an hour, they will then be happy with 10 - 15 mins. the other way round is always troublesome IMO.

get friendly with the local wood workshop, (buying wood there helps)
help out at the school, and "borrow" the facilities
people who's hobby is woodworking will usually be happy to lend/share their facilities + lend advice, in my experience.

Yeezzz Mark...did not know you were that sneaky!! ;-)

Cheers,
Bas
PS. Would you be interested in a Mox crossover ? (like the one on the groupbuy)..Oh and by the way ...could I perhaps borrow your Scope?:devilr:

Hybrid fourdoor said:
I have the same problem, or at least I "feel" like I do. I live in an apartment and try to be quite just to avoid any problems. Luckily the apartment on one side is vacant, and I've memorized the other neighbors schedule, so I know when to do stuff.

But ya I feel bad using the scroll saw or drill, especially since I work at night, so using a tool or vaccuming at 11pm really isn't weird to me, but they may not appreciate it :devilr:

Can't wait for the house to be done (September)! Then I can get real stuff like routers and table saws!

for me its next year. im so looking forward to geting my garage
and basement back. and geting out of this apartment

:D
ill get back into speaker building:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.