Aluminum For Chassis' - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2002, 02:32 AM   #11
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

You can let your fingers do the walking and look up sheet metal in the yellow pages. Any local metal shop has all kinds of guages of aluminum or steel they will shear to whatever size you want. I've found the smaller shops tend to be a little faster and cheaper. You will have to finish them yourselves but on average I spend about 10 to 15 bucks for a cut plate. Good luck
Old 17th May 2002, 03:35 AM   #12
Banned

Let's ask Cap'n Pass about all those Threshold amps built with 1/8" aluminum. Sure our resident physicist could shed some light on this.

Speaking of food..........you are not serious that you trust that Greek restauranteur?

Oh, now I get it..........you're trying your hand at satire, right? [joke]
Old 17th May 2002, 07:10 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you are anywhere near Seattle, Boeing surplus is the place to go -- i have a piece of 8" square, 1/2" wall tubing out in the yard that will be suppling chassis for some time come (particularily at the rate the aren't cranking out at the moment).

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 17th May 2002, 03:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Jocko:
You might have me mixed up with Mrfeedback. His post just before mine is more along the lines of a physics dissertation then my laymans bunch of crap. It might be time for you to get a Glassectomy
Old 17th May 2002, 03:35 PM   #15
Banned

Default Not mixed up at all

I was typing my response when yours appeared ahead of mine.

Jocko
Old 17th May 2002, 05:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

AHHHH, so your reference to C'apn Pass was to Nelson and not me. My mistake, and no Glassectomy needed.
Old 17th May 2002, 05:15 PM   #17
Banned

As blind as I am, might not hurt.

Jocko
Old 17th May 2002, 06:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I doubt your blindness has anything to do with a Glassectomy. That's when they surgically replace the skin over your stomach with a piece of glass so you can see when your head is stuck up your butt.
Old 17th May 2002, 06:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Oddly...if you can make do with .06" aluminum, you can find it at RadioShack.com. They have some standardized sizes, like 4x10,8x12, and larger. The cost is minimal and their shipping is really cheap.
Old 17th May 2002, 07:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Resonse To The Jocko

Quote:
Too old to work as an engineer, to young to start collecting Social Security. Notorious deviant.
Quote:
Oh, now I get it..........you're trying your hand at satire, right? [joke]
No Jocko, please understand that my writings are neither satire, nor sarcasm.
In your case, perhaps it is more like throwing peals to swine !.

I am more interested to hear some intelligent and informed comment and observation than closeted comments such as as the quotes above, attributed to you.

I learned a long time ago that there is none so blind as those who will not see, none so deaf as those who will not hear,
and that an empty vessel makes the most noise !.

So Jocko, Just how much audio gear have you auditioned on the bench in a known acoustically friendly reference environment, and just how much A/B component testing have you done on the fly with an un-earthed soldering iron.

I well understand that different topologies of current sources will cause different distortion characteristics, as will different overall circuit topogies, including feedback versus zero feedback techniques, etc, etc.

Part of my point is that THESE ARE NOT THE ONLY SONIC INFLUENCES.

It seems to me that you are not really listening to the final music replay resultant, unlike others amongst us, notably Bernard (Dice45) who is able to communicate and express relevant feelings and knowlege without negative ego influence, and is indeed comfortable with the concept of pleasant musicallity.

Jocko, have you actually tried an amp with copper heatsinks for example ?
.........Yeah, I thought not !.

Also how much live mixing and how much mixdown have you done ?
And when did you last spend a week in a rainforest, and reference your ears to NATURAL sounds.

I feel better now, Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!