Attention AKSA 55, Hugh is thinking in let us see schematics on forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's two 100 ohms resistor, in parallel with the fuses.

So, with the fuses installed in place, rail current will pass througth the fuses, and the 100 ohms resistors will be conducting too, but the main current will use the lower resistance patch.... crossing the fuse.

The reason of those resistor existance, is to be helpfull when you go adjusting bias, over those resistors you will measure some voltage developed, that is directly proportional to the current is flowing into the circuit....and calculating using ohms law...will be easier to evaluate the current, as 10 Volts over 100 ohms will represent 100 miliamps of current...and 5.4 volts will represent the correct current to be adjusted.

Many friends asked me about that, and was already explained, but i could see that some guys turn confused with that "spare" resistor there.... i believe now things can be a little bit more clear to understand.

The image attached show the way to measure, notice that fuse is out from its socket...measurement is made over the 100 ohms resistor, and this resistor is connected to the fuse holder extremes.

54 Miliamps is the recomended current to AKSA-55

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• bias adjustment.jpg
    bias adjustment.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,671
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
you can also use them (without a fuse) when you first power up the system: if there is a problem with the circuitry, those two resistors will go up in flame - kind like a fuse.

I don't use them myself for debugging purposes. Instead, I use a fast acting fuse rated at smaller amperage.

Aksa board is identified clealy, have no chance to invert

Transistors, also if you invert the power supply, circuit will not conduct properly because a diode is there to avoid damages.

It is hard to make mistakes.... to put this resistor on flames, must not follow Hugh's instructions, the position to put the trimpot to first power on, and if you do not plug it into 220V wall outlet, it will not go in flames.

It is mistakenproof circuit...but of course, someone with extremelly low intelligence, probably, will not be interested to assemble an electronic kit, and so, no problem at all.

Off course, doing it by yourself, without the factory boards, a big chance to burn this resistor may happens, as without board we can invert parts more easily.

Good luck, you will like this amplifier, even with 100 ohms burned resistors.

regards,

Carlos

The board is clear, very difficult to make mistakes.

See the board, i cannot show more details.

This board was assembled and photographed by Mr. Greg Erskine, from Australia.

The resolution and quality disturbed by destroyer X, that made this bad quality copy, with the purpose to keep hidden some factory secrets.

Carlos

Attachments

• marked.jpg
    marked.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,032
Parts are marked if have to assemble vertical of horizontal, over or under the board,

The values are printed together the part number, telling if a resistor (R) or a capacitor (C)..... transistor Base, Colector and Emitter marked, also transistor models...rail voltages are marked, fuse values too....cannot make mistake using those boards.

I never heard that someone made mistakes assembling those boards.

See the detail.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,328
Since this thread gone into life again, i am receiving many mails asking schematic.

I cannot offer the schematic, this do not belong to me, the amplifier has all rigths...copyrigth and registration.

But to avoid too much frustration, Hugh already published some basic schematic, fully functional, that can be developed by yourself.

I am posting now, a Sony amplifier, made in the early eigthies, that can produce 45 and 90 watts RMS over 8 and 4 ohms.

Quality cannot be compared to AKSA-55...or...if you have the chance to compare, Aksa will send a lot of shame on this circuit.

This one have interesting sound, but not precise in the bass range, distort too much and have distorted trebles too.

Dinamic is worst than Aksa, trebles and bass too.

The only advantage this circuit can have, is that you can make it free of charge, it is inexpensive and can produce some fun.

Can be, for some time, a frustration compensation, to have something that may have some connection with Aksa (thopologie is not too much different), but performance of this one is worst...in one scale of 10, Aksa will reach 9 and this one will reach 6.5.

You can use TIP2955 and TIP3055 in the output and make your own experiments with darlington transistors (they love to oscilate).

In the case of darlington transistor use, install at least 390 picofarads from base to colector, to each one of those darlingtons you used..... and God bless you, as those darlingtons love to oscilate and booom, paft, póft!

Use some resistor in series with the rails, and adjust bias till you find 600 to 610 milivolts over the output transistors...if Darlington, adjust to 1300 milivolts from base to emitter.

Good luck...but better to produce AKSA.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• sony taf-30.jpg
    sony taf-30.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,800
If you assemble this one i suggest...even to have fun, you will start to understand..

The reason why i use to shot the boards the resulted bad.

Not only to discharge frustration, but also to make justice...as comparing this Sony circuit, with an Aksa Kit set.... this Sony one really d-e-s-e-r-v-e-s a good shot on it!

believe me or not.... try it!

regards,

Carlos

;)

time, efforts, sweat and tears are some of the ingredients to have a
good sounding power amp.....

I do understand that sometimes it's not easy to put into the open some of our best works....

I would rather suggest that, let's discover things by ourselves....

or we might have discovered them now.....

go on, til time stops....

regards,

heinrich

;)

Completelly rigth and adequated to our forum Hienrich, a diy forum is this one you

Sugest... to do it yourself...to have experience, to listen other guys ideas and test them in real world.... beeing fine, that idea will be your idea too.

Learning doing is better than discuss that this distort more than that...we can do the two ways and see what happens.

I think this is better than to stay discussing the Sex of Anjels...when everybody already know they have not sex.... well.... every last one chance that we are wrong...this way...heaven will be more interesting.

hehe

regards,

Carlos

:D

hi dx:

have you tried thinking about an amplifier schematic that is being
sent to you from Heaven, I mean a power amplifier that is also
made by Heaven's greatest engineers,
infinitely distortionless, and very heavenly live sounding

I was thinking about this before and even until now.....

very very silly:smash:

rgds,

heinrich

Bra , Mongo and hienrich...my dear friends, good to have you here... believe that i

Really apreciate, any movement in the threads, as this was made for that..to share ideas, and i think to make some friends, as i could make around 12 good friends and others jumping to excelence.

Socialization is also a need... we are humans.... to sit around the fire and say Grumpf!..... Ugahhh!...try it once with good friends...sit around the fire...you will see that we will invite ancient memories that we do not believe we have.

Things decided this way... around some fire, will be something unforgeatable..... so unforgeatable and valuable as Nat King Cole and his daugther Nataly Cole singing together.... this was wonderfull..unforgeatable.

Bra, my dear..... Aksa is a problem to produce the boards... as i really think that some details, keept hidden by the designer, are the ones makes the difference.... Aksa is a big business now a days...having strong movement of gods inside and outside, many cars and bikes parked in front of the Offices.....not only passion, but also a business... searching for necessary profit.... those things hidden will transform the basic Aksa in something from outerspace...the very basic schematic may deserve a shot!...so... run to do the basic, without the needed advanced research may not work fine....better to research over some wooden board...and them jump into board production....have you made some research Bra?.... maybe you are ready to go...so publish the schematic, with values or without values, this way, guys will produce boards.

Hienrich...had you felt deep love to a girl.... those deep loves you loose air?.... your legs start to shake...something moves but cannot explain too much details about that, your arterial blood pressure goes rising..... you felt some energy flowing down and up you spine, your vertebral column...your body extructure.... had yo felt your skin alike chicken skin.... your hair goes a little more volum...skin turn rose....the eyes iris dilatate... increase in diameter...you will hear your breath.... will be hard to speak...she will move in slow motion, you will capture her perfum... hair movements and lips movements will delay 5 seconds each cicle... you smile... all teeth appear.... even the throat appear.... nose will open their sides...more secretion inside your nose..something warm inside your breast...and the street noises disappeared...you will hear the heaven songs, as God is love, and love expression is music, with harmony...and harmonics too....

Mongo... God is inside, a part of us, we have just to talk to him...he is hearing all the time, and hearing everybody, but destiny was written...we have to face it for good or for bad...alike a school..learning and suffering and beeing happy also... we cannot learn nothing without do it of feel it...as we are connected to material.... we have watter inside, carbons.... we feel the materia and we feel the spirit...and did not need to find.... already found it.

Well...philosophie may be some intermodulation distortion in our forum...so....let's think about second cicle undistorted.... as first cicle distortion was already proved.

regards,

Carlos

With deference and gratitude to Carlos, I should add some perspective lest his comments seem unconnectedl. I don't yet have a burgeoning empire :( , but it's growing slowly, and there are more products becoming available or presently in the planning phase.

The AKSA continues to sell well, and never disappoints. I'm very happy about this, and service the inquiries and service difficulties very carefully, ensuring no one has any reason to be upset. The reason for the universal appeal is that the amp follows unconventional philosophy, though the design looks simple and conventional. This is not said to indulge any fantasy or marketing hype, but just to say that it does not follow the 'straight wire with gain' concepts which have prevailed in high end for five decades. With such a mature technology, I felt during the development that I had to offer something more if it was to sell well into a cynical market......

The result of this has been that many engineers have condemned the design, condemning it because it does not specifically strive to reduce distortion below 0.01%. In fact, distortion at full power into 8R at 20KHz is closer to 0.05%. My response that the THD is less important than the spectral distribution is usually rejected outright. At first I tried to argue the case around psychoacoustic concepts, but voluminous technical responses, quoting PSpice figures and careful math analysis left me gasping. I tried saying 'BUT......' to no avail. These days I keep pretty quiet about the theory, as most evidently do not want to know if it clashes with their notions of what makes a good amp. I guess I know now what's meant by trade secrets!! I am a business, not an educational facility, and in any event I do not have the necessary million dollar lab to irrefutably back my ideas.

I like to think of the AKSA as bringing high power and high efficiency to sonics approaching the JLH Class A of the late sixties. The secret lies in many aspects; the schematic, sure; the layout, positively, the component choices emphatically. These things are all very important, and knowing one without the other will not generally meet with success.

Again, I must thank Carlos for recognising the merit of the AKSA and bringing some thoughtful debate to the members of this forum.

Cheers,

Hugh

Oh dear Bra.... i was reading again...really i am sorry and i apologize.

Very hard way to talk

Was not my intention Bra...really was not.... my language is more kind than the words i memorize of this language, my Engrisher, because not a good English....i am an Englander Language trasher...i am making a lot of foolishes, i know that, during my effort to comunicate...it is dangerous, when i wrote guy...i am always afraid to write wrong....(gay) and this is not some mistake that can be forgived...but can happen...beach is easy to change to another word...sounds alike.... chip, cheap, Ship and that bull thing...pronounce the same sound inside my "non English mind"

My message to you was agressive, bad educated...too much hard..i am sorry Bra...very sorry because i was too stupid to choice the wrong words.

Receive my apologize Bra...have nothing against you...the opposite, but made a terrible message to you...sinthetic animal, hard, stupid message i sent you...cannot delete it anymore, just to ask you to fogive me, as you really did nothing to receive all that hard message.

Hugh.

I am still hearing, and now i have comparator.... one amplifier with many boards inside...i go switching.... from A to B to C and to D...and your amplifier always giving me good feelings, producing good sound.

I am just beeing fair.

And i respect you very much, in special when i decided to make better than you do...and you came to help me, a really scientifical position, without selfish and pride, and you show me that you really make the better with this thopologie.... i have to respect, someone that cooperate with some guy that want to make better than he made...this is very uncommon, and was something that i cannot forget.

Also you sent me a board free, because i have destructed my board, trying to do better amplifier than you do...another respectable actitude, to preserve the Aksa image, you do not wanted dirty boards, scratched or broken...this is impressive too..

Well...i will finish here, not to write a book about you.

It is clear to forum guys that i apreciate your amplifier, and your person too.

How is your new Cat Hugh?

regards,

Carlos

Carlos likes many amplifiers infact it gets damn confusing to try to understand
the guy, i think he deludes himself thinking that a good amplifier can only
come from gurus and milion dollar labs, he is a fan of gurus here i can see very
clear that the guy is smart so smart infact that leaves no reasonable doubt as
to what is a top amp, i on the other hand have to make my own opinions
because i am not carlos and i have many doubts about his claims,surely he is
free to express them just like anyone else here thats what this forum is about
but if he cant make up his mind as to which is the best and the fact that he only
judge them subjectively with the A B method to me sounds ridiculous forget
about hurting the feelings of your friends mr carlos if you're gonna be a judge
you have to make the hard decision of telling us which is the best you cant just
keep saying that all those amps are good yet you wont say which is the best
one, because there is no1 isnt there

to mr hugh i think aksa if it is good need not fear million dollar labs, carlos with
his a b method can give it a mark of compliment to say the least

OK mmmm what makes a good amplifier. :)

At the risk of getting my head bitten off I am going to add my 2 cents worth...

for over 20 years now I have built and designed dozens of amplifiers, some with vanishing low distortion and noise figures.
Some with the worse hum and noise and distortion figures imagineable.

one can only surmise that amplifier design and building is much more of an art than a science.
My lateral mosfet design which produced around 150 watts has 0.006% THD and noise of around -120db.
It was designed to be a very cheap low component count design and hopefully achieve good sound. the sound quality was OK but not excellent.

My SE Class A design has a THD figure of 1.5% at near full power of 50 watts, the THD drops to around 0.8% at normal listening levels. It is quite noisey compared to the other design yet it would be one of the most wonderful sounding amplifiers I have ever heard.

One thing is for certain amplifier design will always have 2 camps of thought, that of the subjective side and that of the objective side.

Both are valid points of view.

One mans poison is another mans feast.

One only has to read the Class D threads and X100 Passlabs threads to know that there are very different views on what makes an excellent amplifier.

I love reading both threads and enjoy the great amplifiers that come from both sides of the story.

Carlos keep doing your A B tests and Hugh keep doing your extensive listening and component changes and Kanwar keep designing amplifiers that don't cross conduct.

There is no such thing as the Best amplifier in the world.
Just good, very good, Excellent or just plain bad.
There are far to many Opinions and design objectives to make that judgement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.