silver wire? how can i know?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently found a roll of 1000 feet of solid silver wire, i think.

alpha wire corporation
5954-1000 ft
#24 solid silver
plated ofhc kynar

thats what it says, does that mean its electroplated silver to prevent corrosion or is it electroplated with silver? the tip of the wire is dark, maybe corrosion. I also found about 11,000 feet more of some #30 kynar at the same place, (a dumpster) how can I check to see if it is silver too? I would love to make some high grade interconnects. pure silver hooey!
any ideas on testing the other wire spools?

Clarification

mrfeedback said:
How lazy can you be ?

Google search took ME straight to
http://www.alphawire.com/pages/174.cfm .

There, I've taken your hand and led you to the toilet,
but I won't wipe your **** !.

Jeez !
mikesimas

What my esteemed fellow Australian meant, was that the information you seek may be conveniently found at the aforementioned site.

For your further convenience this site states:
"Alpha Kynar and Tefzel wire wrap wires are manufactured with silver-plated OFHC+ conductors. The presence of even minute amounts of oxygen in copper can reduce conductivity and cause embrittlement when the copper is subjected to physical stress. OFHC copper retains its mechanical and electrical integrity even after subject to the high forces of the wire wrapping process." where OFHC is an "Abbreviation for oxygen-free, high conductivity copper. It has no residual deoxidant, 99.95% minimum copper content and an average annealed conductivity of 101%."

I trust that this will assist you.

Nix

silver wire

Right!

I too came across what appears to be silver wire. I it approx 20 meters of 'ribbon' type cable, made up of 40 parallel strands of approx 28 gauge wire. The wire appears to be silver - quite soft, and tarnished where the metal meets air. Cutting through it reveals it to be uniform throughout. Problem is that the insulation (which is clear) is incredibly tough - very difficult to cut without damaging the (hopefully) silver wire. I tried various chemical solvents, right up to the serous stuff (methyl ethyl ketone), and it had no effect on the insulation. Unfortunately, there are no manufacturers codes, numbers, names on the cable, so a google search is not possible. I would love to make a pair of speaker cables out of it, but terminating it will be a challenge.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A second question - has anyone tried the 'cable cookbook' by Allen Wright (another Aussie, I believe)? I am thinking about ordering a copy, and am wondering if it is any good... ;)

Silver and copper have different conductive properties. Besides the fact that silver has a higher conductiviy the oxidation will still pass signal while the tarnish on copper won't. Tinning the ends of copper wire when you solder it takes care of the oxidation. A lot of people believe that the few extra electrons in silver give it a superior quality sound. Having listened to pure copper what ever edge silver has over it can not be worth the price. Free is a different story. Anything free always sounds better than something expensive if you can get it to work.
Gilid, it could be a chore but the only thing I can think of is to razor cut between the wires and use a high quality pair of strippers to cut and pull the insolation off. Other than that you might try burning it off, cleaning the wire with acid before soldering. Because the cable is flat you need to cut the length so that the cable will not coil and become an inductor. Same length on both sides is considered best. I would use one piece of cable per speaker, dividing the strands into pos and neg. If you have enough of it you can play with the number of pos vs neg and see if there is any difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.