Dynamic Range of Electro-mechanical Transducers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2004, 04:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynamic Range of Electro-mechanical Transducers?

I stumbled across the following diagram:
Click the image to open in full size.

It indicates that the dynamic range of a typical speaker is 75dB. Now I'm trying to decide if I need a 24-bit CD player that have dynamic ranges of 120+ db. However, I now wonder if speakers/headphones are capable of reproducing a dynamic range even close to the capabilities of SACDs. Anyone have data on the dynamic range of speakers/headphones?

JF
Old 4th June 2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

It would seem that the dynamic range (or really sort of a signal to noise ratio) of a loudspeaker is the combination of all the dynamic ranges of the chain of equipment hooked up to it, less any power compression the speaker introduces. The noise from each piece of equipment adds to the noise from the source, and signal and noise are reproduced by the speaker. If you then factor in ambient noise, the dynamic range could very well be as low as 75dB, or even lower.

I have speakers that can do 105dB with 6Watts, and just say the S/N of my amp is 90dB and that of my CD player is 90dB. I believe the S/N of the combo would be 84dB, so when my speakers are playing 105 dB, there is somwhere around 21dB of noise coming out. If my ambient noise level is 30dB (the combination of 30 and 21 would essentially be 30), then the S/N or dynamic range of my system would be 105-30=75dB.....
Old 4th June 2004, 10:36 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What the heck is the dynamic range of a room?

This looks like something right out of Darryl Huff.
Old 4th June 2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

When did I say there was anything like a "dynamic range" of a room? Note there are no statistics in what I posted

The dynamic range of a speaker according to the definition here:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/s...4/sn/sn1.shtml
is infinite.

The true question was signal to noise ratio.....and I gave an example of how one might come up with a 75dB figure......
How quiet is your environment?

Hide this!Advertise here!