i want to amplify my telephone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2002, 08:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to travis
Default i want to amplify my telephone

man, i hate having to talk loud. it would be neat to talk quietly, but have my voice come out of the other guy's phone loudly. i hate the telephone.

INTRENET!!1123
Old 13th May 2002, 02:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

c'mon, guys. don't you think it would be funny to send 10 watts of your voice through a phone line. talking t o gramma would be less work.
Old 13th May 2002, 02:46 AM   #3
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

In some parts of the world it is illegal to attach a homebrewed device to the telephone network.
Old 13th May 2002, 05:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

don't be a sissy
Old 13th May 2002, 05:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

AudioFreak is correct, that attaching a non-approved device to the phone line is illegal. IIRC in the US it contravenes FCC regulations (Federal Law). You're also likely to damage the exchange electronics for your line.

The only way to connect non-certified electronics to a phone line is via a line isolation unit (LIU), which itself must be certified. The LIU usually consists of a small isolating 1:1 transformer and sometimes a zener, so if you pump too much level through it it'll saturate the core or be clipped by the zener. The LUI is designed so that it will protect the network under fault conditions.

If you connected an amp illegally and drove excess level down the line, that level would not make it to the receivers end. When the signal gets to the exchange it is either digitised, or modulated onto a carrier for transmission through the network. Either way the level will be controlled by an AGC amp before either of these, and the level clipped if neccessary to ensure the network cannot be overdriven. Modern exchange equiptment would protectively shut down in the face of such high levels, and log a fault. Depending on how the exchange is configured, it may reset automatically, or stay off until a maintenance technician looks at it and resets it manually. Whilst it's in a protective/fault mode, you have no functioning phone line. You are likely to be billed for a service call, and if the carrier thinks you have done deliberate damage, can make your life difficult, even without civil or criminal proceedings being involved.

In a nutshell, it won't work, so don't do it. Be nice to your Gran, and give her some respect by just speaking up so she can hear you clearly. It'll also take a lot more effort futzing around with gear to make it work right, than it would to just speak up.
Remember, you'll be old one day too. (aaaaargh! I sound like my mother)
Old 13th May 2002, 07:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Below is a circuit to amplify telephones:
http://www.velleman.be/Product.asp?lan=1&id=9261

Also phones right now the volume can be adjusted. Consumers don't know or don't remember how to.
Old 13th May 2002, 08:42 AM   #7
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by travis
don't be a sissy
it's forty thousand dollar fine.
Old 13th May 2002, 03:45 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
c'mon, guys. don't you think it would be funny to send 10 watts of your voice through a phone line.
You may think it funny, but the telco won't. I'll help help them beat you over the head.

Jocko
Old 13th May 2002, 05:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Gift Of The Gab

I know a blues singer - I'm sure he sends 10 watts down the line without even trying.

Eric.

Phone technicians do not like external voltages on the gear that they are working on, and I'll help Jocko kick your *** to the curb !.

Hide this!Advertise here!