Question for Dutch DIY'ers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,
I'm visiting Amsterdam next week for a few days , does anyone know of any component or preferably electronic junk shops (the dustier the better!) worth visiting that are fairly local ? Hoping the situation is not like here in London where there's nothing .

316a

Smart Shops ?

janneman said:
I'm not from that area, but maybe others can point you. However, there are a few other "shops" :devilr: I could help you with, as an alternative to audio.

Jan Didden

Hello ,
I already know a lot of good coffee shops but if you know some that are non-touristy and slightly outside town that also sell beer , I'd be interested . Leidseplein is my favourite area so far . Smart shops are another matter altogether , last time I visited ended up sitting in a company training course with the walls of the room bending in on me after a large handful of those 'Philosopher Stone' thingies . Not the best option at 8.30 in the morning , but I passed the course with flying colours (quite literally!) . Just goes to show that you don't need a functioning brain to be an IT worker these days ;)

cheers :)

316a

If you don't mind travelling out of the cityBaco in Ijmuiden would be a contender, my guess it's 1/2 -> 3/4hr on the train. It's a big industrial port, with some history and a long pier. It could be a fair way from the train station though, you can call and ask, they all seem to speak good English.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bas Horneman said:
Hi Nic,

Mark and I went there last weekend (Baco)..Not too much for valve amp builders...(TV tubes - and some motor run MKP's ) But who knows what you may find there ;-)

Though I got lucky (I think) with 5 euro 60H plate chokes... (I've put them in my parafeed Darling instead of the CCS's which don't seem to work ...YET.

Cheers,
Bas

Does Quakkelstein in Vlaardingen still exist?

Jan Didden

Does Quakkelstein in Vlaardingen still exist?

Hi Jan,

Dunno..Where is Vlaardingen??? :cannotbe:

Cheers,
Bas

Just kidding..

Apperently it does...

http://www.recreatie.nl/suggestie.asp?hs=973077

But that is even further from Amsterdam...

But seems quite interesting place to visit :

http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/directory/militaryradioradarandavionics.htm

P.M. QUAKKELSTEIN, Westhavenplaats 28, 3131 BT Vlaardingen (near Rotterdam), Netherlands (00 31 10-4344523). _Several US military sets of post-WWII vintage in the window boded well. Inside, the friendly proprietor, one assumes Mr. Quakkelstein himself, presided over one of those places crowded with shelves and bays with almost no place to walk. Contents ranged from RT-68s to a _modern _ 1kW SSB ship _s transceiver, but mostly odd parts, components, tank coils, tubes, etc., etc. Once again, three stars, worth the visit.

Get's 3 stars from that author..same as Baco..

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I used to get a lot of stuff from Quakkelstein years ago. 6-deck Grayhill rotaries, power resistors, complete test sets, 10-turn cermet and ww-pots, makes your mouth water! Haven't been there for at least 10 yrs, but I would suggest a peek if you are in the area. Walking distance (10 mins) from the train station I think Vlaardingen-Centrum.

Jan Didden

Thanks to all

Mark25 said:

yes thanks, they're both running, sounding nice! but i made temporary 1/2 wave mono-block psu's, because i have soooo.. much spare VA and cheapo Tr's.

Thank-you very much for the gift of the BrianGT boards Bas, very kind.
greetings
Mark

Sounds to me like Amsterdam is in the same situation as here in London : nothing ! We used to have Linway Electronics in Hayes , LB in Hillingdon , Surplus Electronics in Harlington locally , Colomor in Goldhawk Road , Display Electronics in Thornton Heath and of course the legendary shops along Edgware Road in Lisson Grove (there's just a few vintage audio shops on Bell St and they're very EXPENSIVE !) . Looks like I'll just be soaking up the sights and scenery . It could get messy :) :dead:

cheers :)

316a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.