Question for Dutch DIY'ers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2004, 11:09 AM   #1
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Question for Dutch DIY'ers

Hello ,
I'm visiting Amsterdam next week for a few days , does anyone know of any component or preferably electronic junk shops (the dustier the better!) worth visiting that are fairly local ? Hoping the situation is not like here in London where there's nothing .

thanks

316a
Old 3rd June 2004, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm not from that area, but maybe others can point you. However, there are a few other "shops" I could help you with, as an alternative to audio.

Jan Didden
Old 3rd June 2004, 11:43 AM   #3
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Smart Shops ?

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
I'm not from that area, but maybe others can point you. However, there are a few other "shops" I could help you with, as an alternative to audio.

Jan Didden
Hello ,
I already know a lot of good coffee shops but if you know some that are non-touristy and slightly outside town that also sell beer , I'd be interested . Leidseplein is my favourite area so far . Smart shops are another matter altogether , last time I visited ended up sitting in a company training course with the walls of the room bending in on me after a large handful of those 'Philosopher Stone' thingies . Not the best option at 8.30 in the morning , but I passed the course with flying colours (quite literally!) . Just goes to show that you don't need a functioning brain to be an IT worker these days

cheers

316a
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:06 PM   #4
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind travelling out of the cityBaco in Ijmuiden would be a contender, my guess it's 1/2 -> 3/4hr on the train. It's a big industrial port, with some history and a long pier. It could be a fair way from the train station though, you can call and ask, they all seem to speak good English.
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nic,

Mark and I went there last weekend (Baco)..Not too much for valve amp builders...(TV tubes - and some motor run MKP's ) But who knows what you may find there ;-)

Though I got lucky (I think) with 5 euro 60H plate chokes... (I've put them in my parafeed Darling instead of the CCS's which don't seem to work ...YET.

Cheers,
Bas
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman
Hi Nic,

Mark and I went there last weekend (Baco)..Not too much for valve amp builders...(TV tubes - and some motor run MKP's ) But who knows what you may find there ;-)

Though I got lucky (I think) with 5 euro 60H plate chokes... (I've put them in my parafeed Darling instead of the CCS's which don't seem to work ...YET.

Cheers,
Bas

Does Quakkelstein in Vlaardingen still exist?

Jan Didden
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Does Quakkelstein in Vlaardingen still exist?
Hi Jan,

Dunno..Where is Vlaardingen???

Cheers,
Bas

Just kidding..

Apperently it does...

http://www.recreatie.nl/suggestie.asp?hs=973077

But that is even further from Amsterdam...

But seems quite interesting place to visit :

http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/director...ndavionics.htm

P.M. QUAKKELSTEIN, Westhavenplaats 28, 3131 BT Vlaardingen (near Rotterdam), Netherlands (00 31 10-4344523). _Several US military sets of post-WWII vintage in the window boded well. Inside, the friendly proprietor, one assumes Mr. Quakkelstein himself, presided over one of those places crowded with shelves and bays with almost no place to walk. Contents ranged from RT-68s to a _modern _ 1kW SSB ship _s transceiver, but mostly odd parts, components, tank coils, tubes, etc., etc. Once again, three stars, worth the visit.

Get's 3 stars from that author..same as Baco..
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I used to get a lot of stuff from Quakkelstein years ago. 6-deck Grayhill rotaries, power resistors, complete test sets, 10-turn cermet and ww-pots, makes your mouth water! Haven't been there for at least 10 yrs, but I would suggest a peek if you are in the area. Walking distance (10 mins) from the train station I think Vlaardingen-Centrum.

Jan Didden
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
I used to get a lot of stuff from Quakkelstein years ago. 6-deck Grayhill rotaries, power resistors, complete test sets, 10-turn cermet and ww-pots
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds Yummy!!!

Thanks for the tip...
Old 3rd June 2004, 01:33 PM   #10
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds Yummy!!!

Thanks for the tip...
when are we going Buizen Bas?

I got this Tr from baco, Euro 4 !!! 625 va 26-0-26. The core runs warm, 45 - 50 oC, but i'm not complaining at that price.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!