How do you deal with the heat??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do whatever it takes.

I was once DJ'ing a house party (1985), about 120 people, when a guest came over to me to tell me one of the speakers was really badly distorted.
We had set up multiple amps feeding stereo sets of speakers in in each of several rooms, this was a loud party.
What I found was two speakers were really badly distorting so I ran back to my amplifiers and found one just cooking like crazy, so I shut off the offending amplifier and opened the window beside where I was stationed, and placed the hot amp outside on the sill, where the temperature was a pleasant balmy -38c (super dry Manitoba Canada winter), within about 10 minutes I turned on the amp again and it gave me no further problems all night as long as it was sitting out on the sill.

:D

Blow on it...

I built a Class A headphone amp, and using a thermocouple I measured heatsink temps of 70 C, at 25 C ambient. While the parts can withstand that, it bothered me. Plus, the heatsinks were really too warm to touch. The solution was a fan. I found a small 5 volt DC fan, which I run at around 4 volts to keep the acoustic noise down. The heatsinks barely get above ambient now. There is some noise, but in the lab, with lots of test equipment running, one tiny fan isn't really noticeable. I wouldn't want it in my office, however.

Even a small amount of airflow can make a huge difference in heatsink temperatures. I've done a lot of thermal measurements, and it's really amazing how much difference a fan can make. Unfortunately, fans are not always an option in the stuff I work on.:(

Pic of amp:

Attachments

• prr-tori_amp_w-crossfeed_1.jpg
    prr-tori_amp_w-crossfeed_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 171
Is not common 45 degrees in Brazil

Temperature normally goes from 22 degrees to 30 degrees in summer.

In winter you have lower temperature, and sometimes we have snow in extreme south.

And, "end of the world", depends of the extreme you are....maybe, near North Pole can be the end of the world for some people.

Of course, automobiles exposed to sun, can be more hot.

Also places with bad air flow, of course if you measure a metal sheet can be some degrees up...but when air temperature reach 42 in those stupid thermometers we have in the streets, were sensor is inside metal shielded cabinet, without air flow, government order to stop all kind of work because dangerous to health.... i remember it happens once in my 52 years old age.

Please, when temperature goes down in Denmark, to protect citizens government order you to stay home?

Better to think a little more, wheres the end of the world.

Carlos

"I built a Class A headphone amp, and using a thermocouple I measured heatsink temps of 70 C, at 25 C ambient. While th. . ."

I did a headphone amp with a pair of MJE340/350 outpt devices. In free air and no sink they stabilized at ~95 degC. Adding sinks (ittiy bitty 1"x1"x1") brought that down to ~55 degC. Maybe in the summer I should bolt on a bigger sink if there is room.

Grataku >> :hot: :hot: :D
That's why you prevent runaway. GC's and Pass Labs stuff must not be designed too well if you're worried about that... ;) (But look at me, I work with tubes, I don't know the meaning of tempco! :D )

Pulling up a schematic for 2N3055 it says junction/storage temp max. at 200°C, so given around 1.5C/W junction/case you can run it up to 155°C (case) with 30W through it... 'course life will be nasty at that toasty pace, but it comes to within the datasheet figures so I've reached my point.

Not that I'm saying anyone should run stuff that hot... I wouldn't run anything hotter than 100°C. Besides tubes that is :D :D :D

Tim

Heat

Hi

I have a Krell KSA200s which I leave permanently on. During normal days it just about reaches body temprature but on one exceptionally hot summers day I arrived home with the amp cooking. Not burning hot to touch but hot enough for serious concern. I shudder to think how hot it was inside or even worse to come home and find a hifi system meltdown but wonders above wonders no damage was sustained.

Joz

Re: Is not common 45 degrees in Brazil

destroyer X said:
Temperature normally goes from 22 degrees to 30 degrees in summer.
Carlos

I meant indoors, as in inside your house ;) I read your posts, so Im allready relatively well informed about Brazil :)

In the summertime it will get up around 30C here (outdoors) as well, but thats noon peak temp. Indoors we frequently (as in a couple of days a year) see 40C in appartments and the like.

Magura:)

SkinnyBoy said:
simple... you design an amp with twice as much heatsinking, so its only 20degrees above ambient.. so on those 40 degree days, when the air conditioning breaks, and the room temperature is slowly creeping up, you can atleast run the amp for a few hours before it gets hot enough to boil water on.. :p

the oC/W ratings for a heat sink aren't linear -- you can do some calculating with the Thermalloy interactive tool:
http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/technical/thermal.shtml

my advice -- add a small fan -- and you can make a nifty controller with a thermistor and an LM3524 or LM3525 if you want to add bells and whistles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.