What do you guys think of this PCB layout? (gratuitous image and snide humour post) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 06:11 PM   #1
Banned

Default What do you guys think of this PCB layout? (gratuitous image and snide humour post)

Inspired by the lame "Will It Float" segment on David Letterman, I came up with the idea that we can have a game to decide if a PCB design will work, if it is crap, and if you kid can do better.

The game should be open to all, except maybe humourless concept designers, because we already know that they can do better. [joke]

"What do we get if I win?"

I dunno..........a gym sock, formerly owned by Carl Zappa, and still damp? I dunno.

A copy of a PCB layout software that doesn't make rounded corners??? I dunno.

Anyway.....here is the first candidate. Hmmm.....has some phat traces, but they get skinny in some places.........no rounded corners.....some may be too long........I dunno.

Whaddya think?

Will it work?
Attached Images
File Type: gif pcb1top.gif (17.1 KB, 332 views)
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Banned

Default Ooops....

Had to break it up to make it fit.

Wonder if my buddy P-A is checking this out? He should get first crack at guessing. )Hint: he may know what this is.)

Jocko
Attached Images
File Type: gif pcb1bot.gif (19.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

did I hear anyone say JSR?
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:28 PM   #4
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I think including some bottom copper would vastly increase the chances of it working...or at least getting some current to flow.

EDIT: it appeared!

Seriously Jocko, I think it would be great if you sketched some broad outlines for us on where to go in DAC design. You don't need to give away the family jewels, but I think you'd give people an excellant place to start if you gave a list of suggestions for a great DAC that can be built from sourcable (non-exotic/unobtainium/$100 per chip) parts.

Something like:
These DACs are promising: A,B,C
Parallel DACs?
You should/should not ASRC or PLL reclock
Use this reciever [X]

You've already posted some great tidbits on I/V design as well as your comments on signal transformers, although I've never publicly seen your S/PDIF reciever topology. We've got scads of clock designs, some better than others. Yet all we've got for a reference DAC design is JWB's "Cheap 24/96", which was never intended to be a top-flight design.
Old 2nd June 2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Banned

i would prefer a Frank Zappa sock.
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What do you guys think of this PCB layout? (gratuitous image and snide humour post)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko Homo
Inspired by the lame "Will It Float" segment on David Letterman, I came up with the idea that we can have a game to decide if a PCB design will work, if it is crap, and if you kid can do better.

The game should be open to all, except maybe humourless concept designers, because we already know that they can do better. [joke]

"What do we get if I win?"

I dunno..........a gym sock, formerly owned by Carl Zappa, and still damp? I dunno.

A copy of a PCB layout software that doesn't make rounded corners??? I dunno.

Anyway.....here is the first candidate. Hmmm.....has some phat traces, but they get skinny in some places.........no rounded corners.....some may be too long........I dunno.

Whaddya think?

Will it work?

Difine "Work" do you mean function at all or Function well?

BTW The Fat traces do not become skinny, they appear to be branch traces on a power rail, a subtle way to control eddie currents I would say.

I can theorise the DC power connection, three voltages it looks like, the circuit also appears Stereo in nature. A line level filter of some sort, but why such large traces? It could almost be a speaker protection circuit?

Oh well, I am only a novice at this, what do I know.

Anthony
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by till
i would prefer a Frank Zappa sock.
LOL, That was CARL Zappa, Frank's fat smelly brother.
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:38 PM   #8
Alcaid is offline Alcaid  Norway
diyAudio Member

I've seen those pictures somewhere, but I can't remember where...... It bugs me...
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think it is an Alexander amp. Will it work? Dunno, but I have
enough dirty socks already.
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:57 PM   #10
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
I think it is an Alexander amp. Will it work? Dunno, but I have
enough dirty socks already.
Congratulations,

You won a sock! Guess it works, since AD published it

AN-211 "Alexander Current-Feedback Audio Power Amplifier" by
Mark Alexander.

Page 11-140 of Audio / Video reference manual, Analog Devices

Circuit Board Layout: This is probably one of the most critical elements for a wide bandwidth audio power amp. Key is keep trace lengths to an absolute minimum and keep overall layout very small in physical size. First proto's gave oscillation because of bad layout...

Knew i seen it before

Greetings,

Hide this!Advertise here!