Perhaps I'm a little too picky about sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2004, 10:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default Perhaps I'm a little too picky about sound

...yesterday I went to see A Day After Tomorow at the local cineplex. Their sound system is pretty good, EV speakers (well surrounds at least), Christie projectors. Its a Regal theater, 14 screens, stadium style seating, . Not super spectacular (I dont think it is THX) but much better then the "economic 2nd run" style theaters. The "larger" theaters for the hot hits movies have subs in them. I noticed though ever since the previews that there was an imbalance in the sound system. There was sound coming out the middle and the right side but the left side there was very little sound. Then at certain passages it sounded like the speaker was blown. I think the HF driver was blown cause there was still a little sound and you could hear the distortion like something was rattling. This drove me nuts though, cause the entire time I could hear a gap in the audio.

I leaned over and asked my friend if he noticed as well as a girl I was with and they looked at me like I was nuts. I'm like can't you hear the distortion from the left side? They're like no. Good lord. I just couldnt ignore it and I kept on listening for more proof that the speaker was blown.

Today I wrote the general manager a letter indicating my experience. Hopefully he/she will reply with free movie passes can anybody relate?
Old 1st June 2004, 11:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Perhaps I'm a little too picky about sound

Quote:
Originally posted by eRiCdWoNg
...can anybody relate?
yes. I hear things other people don't, and yes I am labeled crazy by them as well (you're not alone)

I tell ya, this hobby is insane, we should all just put it down, buy a Tivoli, sit back and be blissfully ignorant
Old 1st June 2004, 11:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I once complained that the sound in a first run multiplex was so loud it was clipping. I actually got up and talked to one of the ushers. I told him it was too loud and to tell the proj that the signal was clipping and to lower it at least 3dB. He went away and about 5 minutes later the volume was lowered and the clipping went away. I asked my friends after the film if they heard any of it and got the same blank look you got. I wish I remember which theatre...

:)ensen.

Hide this!Advertise here!