Single wire interlink experiment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This morning i was bored and wanted something to do, so I decided to build some interlinks.
I used 2m silver coated copper wire (0.4 mm) and folded it twice to get 4 parallel strains of 50 cm.
Twisted those 4 strains and then soldered both each end into a rca plug.
Repeating these actions a second time resulted in a 2nd interlink.

I replaced my current interlinks between the DAC and pre amp with the new interlinks.
The grounds have been connected by a 3rd wire using 4mm bananaplugs.

To my ears (brain?) it is a big improvement over the current interlinks (van den Hul, The Second).
Since these wires are completely unshielded and built with just standard materials I wonder if somebody could build a similar set and repeat the experiment?
(The blank wires can cause a short when they touch eachother, so you might want to use some tubing.)
What could be the reason for this improvement, I only could come up with 'less capacitance between signal and ground' and 'you are biased because you built them yourself'? ;)

From my experience its hard to make bad interconnects. I make interconnects of a twisted pair of Habia E-1819. I have chosen that particular wire type cause its strong and its silver plated to avoid long term use corrosion issues. Ive made a number of blind tests and found it impossible to differ between the DIY version and any good quality commercial interconnect.

There is a trick to making DIY interconnects though. Dont make a blind test. You will automatically consider the sound of the interconnects youve made an improvement. I was unfortunately stupid enough to destroy that feeling by making blind tests :(

Magura:)

Magura said:
Ive made a number of blind tests and found it impossible to differ between the DIY version and any good quality commercial interconnect.

You should have built your interconnects to my 'specs' ;)

I'm still positive about the improvement, heard several new details on various cd's today.
Maybe sometime soon I can arrange a blind test with some friends. The only possible negative result would be that mine are rated lower then the other links, any other result would be good.

Results just in...

squadra said:

Maybe sometime soon I can arrange a blind test with some friends.

Finally I had 2 friends come over to compare my home made interlinks to others (Van den Hul the Second & Siltech MXT Paris).

One of them thought the bass was slightly better defined and heard no big differences.
The other one found my diy interlink to be more transparent than the others.

Now I just need to add some isolating sleeve and nicer plugs (current ones are from an old oehlbach cable, as are the blue sleeves)
The blue interlink is the Siltech MXT and the yellow is an old van den hul D102 connected to my xbox.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another thing I will do is replace the unisolated 4mm terminal with an isolated one.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, all in all i'm still very happy with the experiment's results.

When making cables do you guys connect both ends of the ground/shield?

I read on one page to only connect at one end. When I tried this it created super buzz on one system and worked on another. But connecting both ends works fine.

Seems to make sense to connect at both, just for safety sake if nothing else.

Hybrid fourdoor said:
When making cables do you guys connect both ends of the ground/shield?

I read on one page to only connect at one end. When I tried this it created super buzz on one system and worked on another. But connecting both ends works fine.

Seems to make sense to connect at both, just for safety sake if nothing else.

The shield should be connected in both plugs on the 'source' side, although some people claim otherwise. You could try both and see what is best in your system.

Connecting the ground in only one cable leads to a difference (capacitance etc.) between both channels, so this doesn't seem like a good idea. Don't know if this difference is big enough to be heard.

dazydee said:
Nothing around the conductor that can interact with the signal but Air, which is almost as good as vacuum, and good Material.

I always thought I lived in a vacuum ;)

interlinks

I use the same conception. Silver coated copper wire 0,6 mm diameter. I use not teflon but shoe-lace to isolate the 2 wires. Then I twist them together. No shielding. It works fine. Sure there exist better interlinks but I am happy with them and it's low-cost.

INTERLINKS

Hi Panicos K,

What do you mean by system?
I use a playstation 1 SCPH1002 for CD player. Ampli is a hard-wire
gainclone LM3875, well builded myself. The speakers are VOTT A 7 with
horns 511-B altec with 808-8A drivers altec. The woofer is a JBL G-135-8.
Interlink, very simple: two copper wires 0,6 mm diameter, silver coated
with silver plugs for the left channel, isolated with shoelace and twisted . The same for the right channel. It sounds good.

With regards, sigurd.;)

Hi sigurd,actually it is squadra that I wanted to ask about his system.A .6 mm silver plated teflon wire has well known qualities,that's why we all from time to time are using it.A vdh second or first for that matter has great potentials and I'm surprised to hear that looses so easily by the .6 type.I.m sure it has to do something with system vices.

Panicos K said:
Hi sigurd,actually it is squadra that I wanted to ask about his system.A .6 mm silver plated teflon wire has well known qualities,that's why we all from time to time are using it.A vdh second or first for that matter has great potentials and I'm surprised to hear that looses so easily by the .6 type.I.m sure it has to do something with system vices.

I think at that time I was using a PS Audio Ultralink 2 DAC connected to a Sphinx Project 2 & 12 combination.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.