Why I'll never buy another PC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2004, 06:38 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

After reading a lot of good things about OSX, I was really let down with my g/f's powerbook. Nice wide hi-res screen and slim profile but the ~1GHz/256MB RAM configuration is amazingly slow. It feels as fast as the P3 500MHz/256MB RAM laptop they burden me with at work and force quits are required at least as often as three-finger salutes on mine.

Linux has been a disappointment, too. Tried to load it on a PII-266 I have lying around and couldn't get the video to work. Same problem I had when I tried Slackware back in the mid-90's. Just haven't had good luck with it.

However, if I had a choice I would take a G5 over the crap Sun Blade workstation I have at work. I don't know why Sun bothers with workstations. Where I work most of them are used as glorified dummy terminals. Sun should just rebadge Dells or Macs or something. At least they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. My first Sun dual-head w/s in 1997 was $15k!
Old 31st May 2004, 06:40 PM   #22
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

i use linux and winblows with no problems a good hardware firewall helps software firewalls are not so good
Old 31st May 2004, 06:42 PM   #23
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sberube
hehe, true indeed, but I'll stick with my SGI and my Sun's

sberube@ghoul$ uptime
12:29pm up 225 days, 16:53, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

the two soon to be ... actually already extinct OSs.
Enjoy.
Old 31st May 2004, 06:57 PM   #24
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

DrDeville and Schematic,
what you are referring to is called winNT4.0, nice OS lean and mean, sure that was a time when real people were chatting on yahoo but still.
I tried to use linux back in 1995 but it was so damn arcane I couldn't see the point. Nowadays Linux is so far ahead of anything else out there and is getting better and better everyday. The only reason anything else is surviving is because of MS office and the PC games.

Schematic,
I know you like to play the classics but if you ever decide to upgrade your computer I got a pirate copy of HalfLife with your name on it
Old 31st May 2004, 08:31 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by grataku
I know you like to play the classics but if you ever decide to upgrade your computer I got a pirate copy of HalfLife with your name on it
Hehe thanks but my brother has it in his collection... I'm sure I could ask nicely and spend half my remaining HD space and play it again. (Yeah I got like 500MB free, ouch.)

Tim (going off to some Quake 2 )
Old 2nd June 2004, 01:29 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrachrome
After reading a lot of good things about OSX, I was really let down with my g/f's powerbook. Nice wide hi-res screen and slim profile but the ~1GHz/256MB RAM configuration is amazingly slow. It feels as fast as the P3 500MHz/256MB RAM laptop they burden me with at work and force quits are required at least as often as three-finger salutes on mine.
Unfortunately a lot of people with Powerbooks and iBooks are suffering from problems like that, and it's such a simple fix to get around.

First off, upgrade to Panther if you can afford it. A lot of new features, plus some nice speedups. When was the last time an upgrade of Windows made your machine go FASTER? :P

Secondly, tell your girlfriend to try an application called 'Macaroni'. Unfortunately, like all unix machines, they were not made to work especially well with the "sleep" state that newer machines are employing. As a result, cron jobs that are due while your machine is sleeping do not get run if your machine is sleeping.

That behavior makes complete sense from one point of view, since you don't want your machine to be ***-slow when you wake it up. On the other hand, OSX requires some jobs to be run in order to perform some "routine maintenance" on your filesystem and all that. In think "fixing permissions" is the most important of them all, but there are other valuables that slip my mind at the moment.

For those of you who think this is utter BS behavior, I'd like for one of you to show me a PC that actually goes to sleep in a second when you close the lid, and wakes up in a second with no issues when you open the lid... How many years have they been making laptops now? Why the HELL can't they get sleep functionality correct???

Sorry. Ranting.

Hope some of that info helps,

Chris
Old 27th July 2004, 03:36 PM   #27
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default No going back now....

I'm now officially PC-less
Bought a 14" iMac to replace my ageing Compaq M700.
It's not fair to compare them directly, since their designs are separated by several years, but they are worlds apart.
So I thought I write down 12 reasons to be happy for Mac owners...(there must be more)....
1. Operating system installs in 5 minutes
2. Wakeup and sleeps faultlessly and instantly
3. Finds network settings automatically
4. Associates files with applications elsewhere on the network
5. Prints web pages correctly (via pdf)
6. Anything connected appears on desktop
7. Secure from attack, (almost) idiot proof - yeah I know
8. Robust operating system
9. Automatically synchronises browser and email clients with my other chosen Macs
10. Doesn't look like an old fashioned briefcase
11. Cost less than a comparable notebook PC
12. Talks to any PC or Mac
And judging by my desktop Mac's performance over the last year, the system won't slow down with time. I used to have to re-install windows on my PC's periodically because it collected baggage that slowed it down.

It feels soooo good
Old 27th July 2004, 04:34 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Im a PC user and have been for years, have I ever had problems? not really. The only ones I encounter are when I dont know what im doing, ie learning something new I never needed before. Like with your 1st system install, learning how to get everything to boot correctly and stupid things like that. I can now install everthing without ANY problems in a short amount of time, yes its not 5 minutes, but it takes longer then that anyway to format a hard disk. Setting everything up and getting the network up and running no hitches.

Once you know how to do things correctly your home and dry, no problems whatsoever.

I had an installation of win2k pro which worked flawlessly for about 18 months, but over time did begin to slow down, but only because I installed many things and removed them shoddily, not really taking care of the system. I also never got anything that stopped the machine from working, virus or a worm etc, nothing and I dont use any protection programs. Im on DSL 24/7 so have pretty much an open door to a gold mine for anything to implant its self on my system. But they dont.

I have now just this week, installed XP and have to say its fantastic, the machine boots up almost instantly when the operating system starts to load, which for me is great. It was easier then win2k pro to setup and with regards to virus and worm infestation. Mircrosoft do a good job of creating security packs, as long as your vigilant in gettin those you'll be fine. Windowz has an auto update feature USE IT.

The biggest problem with windows is ignorance, this is not to insult anyone, but it can be a bind to use, if you dont know how to use it correctly. If you do then you'll have no problems, and if you get one, you will know how to fix it.

If a mac is foolproof then I strongly recommend them to people who wouldnt know a PCI socket if it smacked them accross the face. The people who complain strongly about PC's are the poeple who dont know how to use them. Which in most cases is 90%+ of the population.
Old 27th July 2004, 05:11 PM   #29
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I have now just this week, installed XP and have to say its fantastic, the machine boots up almost instantly when the operating system starts to load, which for me is great. It was easier then win2k pro to setup and with regards to virus and worm infestation. Mircrosoft do a good job of creating security packs, as long as your vigilant in gettin those you'll be fine. Windowz has an auto update feature USE IT.

Wait less than a month.. youll have to down load Adaware. then scann your festering infected computer for stuff.. oh i love this part dont forget to install all your virus protectors and update them every min oh and buy a fire-wall because windows xp is full of holes.. oh wait what about that 10gig ahertz computer to run the os.. remember dont open that email atachment because it could screw ya..

oh to have a mac and not worry about these types of things.. just install the os update it and use it.. Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned..
Old 27th July 2004, 05:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL

Wait less than a month.. youll have to down load Adaware. then scann your festering infected computer for stuff.. oh i love this part dont forget to install all your virus protectors and update them every min oh and buy a fire-wall because windows xp is full of holes.. oh wait what about that 10gig ahertz computer to run the os.. remember dont open that email atachment because it could screw ya..

oh to have a mac and not worry about these types of things.. just install the os update it and use it.. Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned..
Well as it stands I used adaware on my last PC before I reinstalled and it had like 500 things that needed to be removed, none of these actually did anything because removing them didnt do anything either. The PC was fine with or without them.

I hear all this wait a month blah blah blah about every windows things that ive ever used and it NEVER happens. I have never got a virus or a worm thats killed a system. And I have never used a firewall or any virus scan things.

"Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned.. " whats that supposed to mean? You know full well what i was saying, who invented the damned thing doesnt make a blind bit of difference. Why should I research it? i dont care!

Hide this!Advertise here!