Why I'll never buy another PC - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2005, 07:09 AM   #191
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by geewhizbang
The Mac people have been here trying to make windows pc's out as crash prone etc.
No need for mac people to that, Windows people are much better at it.

dave
Old 31st May 2005, 07:20 AM   #192
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by MadSkillzMan
Im a dual g5 owner. I HEAR YOU BROTHER! I built up a GIANT PC for video editing/3D FX, it was watercooled, tripple monitor, dual power supply, raid 0, winxp/gentoo ...one bad MF'n machine. It goes and gets slow. I get a gig of ram...video card FRIES, i buy a FX5700..quadro mod.. it rules..for about 20 minutes. Raid drives go down, DEAD, next thing i know, its not booting. I fried it. CPUs chared black. but this is after a good 500$ in repairs. I had enough of BSOD's, and i realized, my G3 was 11 years old running all original parts. Bought my Dual G5, and ive never been happier.

G5's i wish i had money for one.. id buy a dulie 2.o and a 24" dell lcd..

Right now my main machine is my dell laptop running 2k with all service packs and stuff.. my new server that just went up in the last few days Mandrake 10.1 all updated behind a router.. I need a new one this is only a PII 400 @ 128mb ram and a 15gig hdd.. I'm debating on getting a g4 500mx box or a p4 2.0 gig linux / osx.. Humm...
Old 31st May 2005, 08:21 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to MadSkillzMan Send a message via AIM to MadSkillzMan Send a message via MSN to MadSkillzMan Send a message via Yahoo to MadSkillzMan
geewhizbang, i actually wasnt OC'ed. It was a dual athlon 1.2, one of the earlier dual MPs, so the heat out put was immense. I had 11 fans to cool that sucker, and one day i just got sick of all the noise. Its not easy to sleep with a 10 hour magic bullet render in AE going ALL NIGHT!

Im more of a linux guy. If linux had the multimedia apps windows did, i wouldve just shut up and switched to that perminently. I lost it with my PC when it crashed and caused me a 3D SPFX job. Never again was i going to let that happen.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...IhateMS_2.html

windows is crash prone, a part of that states, if you install windows on identical servers, some WILL CRASH for unknown reasons.

I went thru the problems of my machine on another forum (ocforums) we established that i just asked it to do so much between 3dsmax, combustion, adobe, so much multitasking..that after 3 years of it nonstop, the machine just gave up.

Longhorn, the new windows..has been scrapped and theyve started over. Pretty pathedic IMO. If M$ gets their way, your PC will need to be built my microsoft in order for you to function. But even worse, this new technology, will require ALL your files to be created on one of these longhorn PCs. If it isnt, the longhorn pc wont open it and vise versa. So pretty much bill gates will take the apple approach, only monopolize it some more.

That, and almost every other OS out there is *nix/BSD based. You can sit down at a computer running BeOS, IRIX, linux, mac, openBSD, figure out how to get the command line and your set. Not windows.

A mac was perfect for all the graphics work i do. And if it wears out within the next 3 years, well then i just lug it to my apple store and get it repaired. SAME DAY! their warranty service is quite incredible.

Geewhiz, what kinda mac do you have? I was tthinking of upgrading my old OC'ed Beige G3 to the 1.25 ghz g4 CPU.
Old 31st May 2005, 08:52 PM   #194
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

Geewhiz, what kinda mac do you have? I was tthinking of upgrading my old OC'ed Beige G3 to the 1.25 ghz g4 CPU.

I had the Single G4 1.0 gig machine. Was wickedly fast.. ( kinda )
Old 31st May 2005, 09:20 PM   #195
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

This one does me fine. 20" display single 1.25

It is noticably slower that my g4 dp 867 mirror door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4619.jpg (50.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 31st May 2005, 09:22 PM   #196
Banned

hey a luxo-lamp.. Sweet..

Hide this!Advertise here!