Why I'll never buy another PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the honeymoon period is over. I've now owned my G4 for 6 months.
For those unfamiliar with Mac's, this is not a pretty - arty looking Mac, but just a boring box, not dissimilar to a PC.
There was short pleasant learning curve. Of course I'm still learning, but then I'm still learnng about PC's too.
So has time faded it's appeal?
Certainly not. I'm more in love with it than when I got it. The grass looked greener, and it is greener ;)
What about the things only a PC can do?
What things? Virual PC allows me to run the 3 applications I have for which no Mac equivalent exists. I can now do more things than before, except catch a virus!
Networking? Of course; my Mac can talk perfect Samba.

I still have my trusty Compaq M700, but it's due for replacement soon. What will I replace it with? There are only 2 choices:- PowerBook or iBook.
My daughter just bought an iBook on my recommendation. It cost less than the Sony vaio she originally considered. She now cannot understand why I made her buy PC's in the past :D

Jam,

Good questions;)

There are sound card utities for the Mac, but i don't use computer based audio test applications.
Virtual PC6 seems to employ a virtual SB16 with only playback capability. Of course the native apps will be best.

Ports:
Ethernet works, sound card playback works. USB is flakey - but I use Win98. probably with 2K it'll be fine. Haven't checked Firewire.
There is no parallel or serial port.

The cartoon is funny - but quite untrue. Mac's can and do crash. Like cars, wreckless driving can cause it :angel:

Linux OS builds have always been available for Mac, but OS x brings some extra possibilities. being based on freeBSD, it has a lot of similarities. Have a look at Fink. It allows running of Linux apps on the Aqua desktop.:cool:

jam said:

Thanks. Funny, but my old Mac used to crash only when running Microsoft apps.......................;)

For some reason Microsoft applications seem not to run well
together with Windows. ;)

On the other hand, applications ported from Unix to Windows,
like Emacs, usually continue to run when Windows has
crashed and nothing else works.

Anyway, don't blame PCs unless you mean it. There is nothing
wrong with PCs, I think, you just shouldn't run Windows. Now,
I happen to run Win 98SE myself on my home computer, but
that is for various backwards compatibility reasons. Otherwise
I would run Linux.

Actually, the only Microsoft product I can honestly say I
have been satisfied with is a piece of hardware, the keyboard
I am currently using.

They used to say Macs are computers designed by geniuses for idiots and PC are designed by idiots for geniuses.
Of course all the people present here are excluded. ;)

When I sit in front of a Mac I feel like I am getting a dose of Steve Jobs cult BS shot directly up into my aorta. I don't want to pay a premium for a piece of slow performance retro-funky-AndyWarhol looking computer that can double as a paper weight or flower vase when I am ready to upgrade. I just want a cheap, fast computer.

I would agree that using windows has become impossible. It's a unbearable monster with all the viruses, spyware, all the startup programs that do absolutely nothing useful but crudding up your system.
However, PC hardware is still alot faster than any Mac out there no matter what macworld tells you. I do everything on a PC running Linux for the serious stuff and vmware to run MSoffice and adobe programs. That works very well for me.

Guys,

This is what you need......................:D

Attachments

• 18.gif
    18.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 881
Consistency....

jam said:
John,

Thanks. Funny, but my old Mac used to crash only when running Microsoft apps.......................;)

Regards,
Jam
My Winows schematic capture/PCB layout application crashes in exactly the same place and way whether native, VPC or VMware :D
None of the others crash in VPC. There is a issue with long filenames that I've still to tackle, so I just keep 'em short for now.

grataku said:
They used to say Macs are computers designed by geniuses for idiots and PC are designed by idiots for geniuses.
Of course all the people present here are excluded. ;)

snip...

I'm happy to be an idiot :D
Most of the time I want the computer to work for me - not the other way round :xeye:
The rest of the time, OS x is so like Linux that I'm happy to have a tinker under the bonnet (hood):cool:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tnx ;-)

It's quite an impressive figure anyway actually - I suppose it is not easy for any OS to stay online even if You don't do anything.

Not that I have had the chance to try for several 100 days - I need my OSX comp - everyday !

/

hehe, don't do anything is pretty far from the reality...

This box is a sun Ultra1 and is my internet gateway as well as my mail server, webserver, DNS server, dhcp server, file server (samba as well as nfs), router between my DMZs and mysql server. With the right software and the right configuration and good performance tunning, there's no reason for this box to be having a hard time... Of course, 10 years experience managing unix systems might help a bit :)

Oh, and BTW, I have some boxes at work (RS/6000 and Sun) that have been up over 500 days... And my all time record was a sparc classic running sparc linux RH 4.3) that rolled the counter (/proc/uptime) having gone over 630+ days up

Cheers!

grataku said:
I would agree that using windows has become impossible. It's a unbearable monster with all the viruses, spyware, all the startup programs that do absolutely nothing useful but crudding up your system.

You're still not using it right. And improper use leads to crashes as mentioned above. :D Go to windowsupdate.com and load every critical update you can find, install a firewall (ZoneAlarm I suppose, I wouldn't know because I'm sitting behind a hardware firewall that ownz any software one) and get SpyBot Search and Destroy. Clean up the crap, immunize and update the HOSTS file. Change settings in IE and OE to tighten security (anyone who doesn't go right to Settings and set up a program before using it is a plain and simple dumbass, FYI) and you're pretty much done. You'll probably need an antivirus to clean up any already on your computer.

Tim (proudly running clean and dry Win98SE since 1999)

THis is why i like mac osx. Why several reason's.. FIrst..

Why should any one buy a pc and have to install a second firewall software to protect it.
why should we install av software that slows the computer down and half the time either frezes or doesnt work good.
if you had a brand new pc right out of the box last year you had to get a hard ware firewall so that way when you plugged it directly into the net or go onto the net it got a virus right away.

Why should any one want to run a pc any more.. It is just stupid.

Get a mac or another unix/linux os. Windows is so pathetic. This is why i switched..

yes i know there are lots of you that use windows and don't have problems but 80% of the world are retards and open attachments and click on almost any thing.

One and one more thing.. spy ware.. this is stupid you cant even cheack your hotmail / email with out getting a piece of spy ware.. Gesh. getting pretty bad don't you think guy's

What Sch3mat1c said. :)

The key to running windoze is monk-like
simplicity.

Start with a clean install, install updates,
anti-virus, ZoneAlarm, drivers, configuration,
and the bare minimum of programs that
you really need.

Then back up your pristine system with
something like Norton Ghost. :ghost:

Then, if you install a game or something,
when you are done never uninstall.
Instead just restore from your earlier
pristine version of windows.

As I make necessary updates, etc,
I save newer versions of my "clean"
system.

Then if anything ever goes wrong,
I don't troublshoot. :RIP: I just restore from
my saved version. :angel: And, in five minutes,
I have a happy system again. :checked:

Life is good. :up: :D

Best,

George Ferguson

DrDeville said:
What Sch3mat1c said. :)

The key to running windoze is monk-like
simplicity.

Start with a clean install, install updates,
anti-virus, ZoneAlarm, drivers, configuration,
and the bare minimum of programs that
you really need.

Then back up your pristine system with
something like Norton Ghost. :ghost:

Then, if you install a game or something,
when you are done never uninstall.
Instead just restore from your earlier
pristine version of windows.

As I make necessary updates, etc,
I save newer versions of my "clean"
system.

Then if anything ever goes wrong,
I don't troublshoot. :RIP: I just restore from
my saved version. :angel: And, in five minutes,
I have a happy system again. :checked:

Life is good. :up: :D

Best,

George Ferguson

Ya see, that's exactly why the only reason I have a PC running windoze is for cutting DVDs (software under linux isn't quite there yet) I don't have to re-install every 3 to 6 months, I don't get spyware and such on my system every single web page I visit or software I download, and when I change a setting on my system, it actually does what I tell it to do (as opposed to what it thinks I'm trying to do). Bottom line is that windoze thinks your an idiot and tries to do things for you. Other OSes do what you tell them to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers!

While I am no fan of microsloth I have been running xp since it came out and I have had no worm, virus or instability problems. I am on broadband behind a router so far....no problems.

When I find a version of Linux that installs/runs properly on my white box hardware (6 desktops on the LAN) I will be very happy to leave microsloth and xp behind but so far I have found Linux to be difficult to install and when it does install it seems to have lots of problems and is terribly slow.

So far I've used Mandrake, SuSE & Red Hat (Ver 9.0) and I am not pleased with any of it.

rt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.