Why I'll never buy another PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading a lot of good things about OSX, I was really let down with my g/f's powerbook. Nice wide hi-res screen and slim profile but the ~1GHz/256MB RAM configuration is amazingly slow. It feels as fast as the P3 500MHz/256MB RAM laptop they burden me with at work and force quits are required at least as often as three-finger salutes on mine.

Linux has been a disappointment, too. Tried to load it on a PII-266 I have lying around and couldn't get the video to work. Same problem I had when I tried Slackware back in the mid-90's. Just haven't had good luck with it.

However, if I had a choice I would take a G5 over the crap Sun Blade workstation I have at work. I don't know why Sun bothers with workstations. Where I work most of them are used as glorified dummy terminals. Sun should just rebadge Dells or Macs or something. At least they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. My first Sun dual-head w/s in 1997 was $15k!

DrDeville and Schematic,
what you are referring to is called winNT4.0, nice OS lean and mean, sure that was a time when real people were chatting on yahoo but still.
I tried to use linux back in 1995 but it was so damn arcane I couldn't see the point. Nowadays Linux is so far ahead of anything else out there and is getting better and better everyday. The only reason anything else is surviving is because of MS office and the PC games.

Schematic,
I know you like to play the classics but if you ever decide to upgrade your computer I got a pirate copy of HalfLife with your name on it ;)

grataku said:
I know you like to play the classics but if you ever decide to upgrade your computer I got a pirate copy of HalfLife with your name on it ;)

Hehe thanks but my brother has it in his collection... I'm sure I could ask nicely and spend half my remaining HD space :bigeyes: and play it again. :D (Yeah I got like 500MB free, ouch.)

Tim (going off to some Quake 2 :) )

ultrachrome said:
After reading a lot of good things about OSX, I was really let down with my g/f's powerbook. Nice wide hi-res screen and slim profile but the ~1GHz/256MB RAM configuration is amazingly slow. It feels as fast as the P3 500MHz/256MB RAM laptop they burden me with at work and force quits are required at least as often as three-finger salutes on mine.

Unfortunately a lot of people with Powerbooks and iBooks are suffering from problems like that, and it's such a simple fix to get around.

First off, upgrade to Panther if you can afford it. A lot of new features, plus some nice speedups. When was the last time an upgrade of Windows made your machine go FASTER? :p

Secondly, tell your girlfriend to try an application called 'Macaroni'. Unfortunately, like all unix machines, they were not made to work especially well with the "sleep" state that newer machines are employing. As a result, cron jobs that are due while your machine is sleeping do not get run if your machine is sleeping.

That behavior makes complete sense from one point of view, since you don't want your machine to be ***-slow when you wake it up. On the other hand, OSX requires some jobs to be run in order to perform some "routine maintenance" on your filesystem and all that. In think "fixing permissions" is the most important of them all, but there are other valuables that slip my mind at the moment.

For those of you who think this is utter BS behavior, I'd like for one of you to show me a PC that actually goes to sleep in a second when you close the lid, and wakes up in a second with no issues when you open the lid... How many years have they been making laptops now? Why the HELL can't they get sleep functionality correct???

Sorry. Ranting.

Hope some of that info helps,

Chris

No going back now....

I'm now officially PC-less:)
Bought a 14" iMac to replace my ageing Compaq M700.
It's not fair to compare them directly, since their designs are separated by several years, but they are worlds apart.
So I thought I write down 12 reasons to be happy for Mac owners...(there must be more)....
1. Operating system installs in 5 minutes
2. Wakeup and sleeps faultlessly and instantly
3. Finds network settings automatically
4. Associates files with applications elsewhere on the network
5. Prints web pages correctly (via pdf)
6. Anything connected appears on desktop
7. Secure from attack, (almost) idiot proof - yeah I know ;)
8. Robust operating system
9. Automatically synchronises browser and email clients with my other chosen Macs
10. Doesn't look like an old fashioned briefcase
11. Cost less than a comparable notebook PC
12. Talks to any PC or Mac
And judging by my desktop Mac's performance over the last year, the system won't slow down with time. I used to have to re-install windows on my PC's periodically because it collected baggage that slowed it down.

It feels soooo good:cool:

Im a PC user and have been for years, have I ever had problems? not really. The only ones I encounter are when I dont know what im doing, ie learning something new I never needed before. Like with your 1st system install, learning how to get everything to boot correctly and stupid things like that. I can now install everthing without ANY problems in a short amount of time, yes its not 5 minutes, but it takes longer then that anyway to format a hard disk. Setting everything up and getting the network up and running no hitches.

Once you know how to do things correctly your home and dry, no problems whatsoever.

I had an installation of win2k pro which worked flawlessly for about 18 months, but over time did begin to slow down, but only because I installed many things and removed them shoddily, not really taking care of the system. I also never got anything that stopped the machine from working, virus or a worm etc, nothing and I dont use any protection programs. Im on DSL 24/7 so have pretty much an open door to a gold mine for anything to implant its self on my system. But they dont.

I have now just this week, installed XP and have to say its fantastic, the machine boots up almost instantly when the operating system starts to load, which for me is great. It was easier then win2k pro to setup and with regards to virus and worm infestation. Mircrosoft do a good job of creating security packs, as long as your vigilant in gettin those you'll be fine. Windowz has an auto update feature USE IT.

The biggest problem with windows is ignorance, this is not to insult anyone, but it can be a bind to use, if you dont know how to use it correctly. If you do then you'll have no problems, and if you get one, you will know how to fix it.

If a mac is foolproof then I strongly recommend them to people who wouldnt know a PCI socket if it smacked them accross the face. The people who complain strongly about PC's are the poeple who dont know how to use them. Which in most cases is 90%+ of the population.

I have now just this week, installed XP and have to say its fantastic, the machine boots up almost instantly when the operating system starts to load, which for me is great. It was easier then win2k pro to setup and with regards to virus and worm infestation. Mircrosoft do a good job of creating security packs, as long as your vigilant in gettin those you'll be fine. Windowz has an auto update feature USE IT.

Wait less than a month.. youll have to down load Adaware. then scann your festering infected computer for stuff.. oh i love this part dont forget to install all your virus protectors and update them every min oh and buy a fire-wall because windows xp is full of holes.. oh wait what about that 10gig ahertz computer to run the os.. remember dont open that email atachment because it could screw ya..

oh to have a mac and not worry about these types of things.. just install the os update it and use it.. Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned..

JasonL said:

Wait less than a month.. youll have to down load Adaware. then scann your festering infected computer for stuff.. oh i love this part dont forget to install all your virus protectors and update them every min oh and buy a fire-wall because windows xp is full of holes.. oh wait what about that 10gig ahertz computer to run the os.. remember dont open that email atachment because it could screw ya..

oh to have a mac and not worry about these types of things.. just install the os update it and use it.. Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned..

Well as it stands I used adaware on my last PC before I reinstalled and it had like 500 things that needed to be removed, none of these actually did anything because removing them didnt do anything either. The PC was fine with or without them.

I hear all this wait a month blah blah blah about every windows things that ive ever used and it NEVER happens. I have never got a virus or a worm thats killed a system. And I have never used a firewall or any virus scan things.

"Pci card.. if i remember and maybe you should read or research that mac created that port ? AHH yeass burned.. " whats that supposed to mean? You know full well what i was saying, who invented the damned thing doesnt make a blind bit of difference. Why should I research it? i dont care!

um yeah.. > 7 years pc tech experiance here.. Just ask planet10 how good i am at woroking on things. if i remember i waled out of his house with lots of stuff first day i remember fixing a external drive then the next all 3 mac's then going on a pc call and fixing that.. it's not all the papers you have it is all experiance.. any ways.. im a switcher i am on a pc now. and my 500mhz ibook seems faster and more stable.. i dont need to run any of that spyare crap or norton av stuff just plain simple the os.. Id buy a pc only for protel and a audio program that is it..

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I bought a 17" widescreen 1GHz iMac a year and a half ago and I've never had it crash once. I don't need to worry about patches, updates, viruses and other crap like that. I've done more with my computer in the past year and a half then all the previous time spent with PC's (about six years).

If I want to do something with my computer, I want to be able to fire it up and DO IT, not dink around with compatibility issues and software bugs. Any time I wanted to add something to my PC, be it a sound card, printer or mouse, I'd never know for sure if it'd "play nice" with the other hardware and software in the computer.

For games, nothing beats a PC, but I don't game very often. I have better things to do. If you want a gaming machine, buy a Playstation or Xbox. As far as speed goes, I'd put a dual processor G5 up against any PC for real world (read non-gaming) applications.

My only beef with them is that they're so expensive. I doubt I'll ever own another PC.

you can email me to talk about other thing's * things* u may need..

any way.. yeah i was just given a Quicksilver tower.. the psu died on it but that is a easy fix from ebay.. it came with 1.5gigs ram a 120gig hdd and i gave him 50$ for teh nice videocard he left in it.. so now i must save to buy 2 x 17" lcd's or 2 x 15" ones.. im going to start doing video stuff. and audio tune's..

Speed

Well in all fairness, I don't think even the G5 stands up to some of the latest PC's on absolute speed. Of course it depends on the application and job anyway. But as I said, my desktop is the same speed as it was a year ago, and there's loads of stuff on it. *
The real important thing is how long it takes to get the job done overall. That'll depend on how fast the computer is on the day you use it, and how much faffing about you need to get started. My experience so far is that the Mac (with OSx) wins hands down.

*You know what it was like when you first got a PC and wanted to install everything on it? Yup, I did that to my desktop Mac. And it's performance didn't change.

you know what is cool about mac.. you drag the aplication to the folder to install it.. oh you dont like that app yo uinstalled you dragg it to trash then it is gone.. none of this uninstall wizard crap.. also the g5 dual 2gigs are fast but you also have to remember that they have ever port on the back too that a pc doesnt. : O ) it is not about speed any more it s about stability and stuff.. if i get a mac g5 the first to go is that cheaper sata drive it will become storage and ill drop in a 15k rpm sata drive 74gig for the main drive.. a friend of mine did this to his wow what a improvement. : O ) mine all take 7200rpm 8mb cache drives ( my quick silver )

Ive been a PC user since the early 90s... tried a friends mac once to play Quake on and it seemed rather slow. but thats been my only experience. So I cant say thats a real good comparison.

but like dhaen said on page 1 of this tread.. "Careless driving causes crashes"
It never ceases to amaze me the loads and loads of junk people get intalled on their windoze machines and then complain cause its slow....

Ive only had a PC truely crash once -- crash meaning I had to reload the OS in order to get it working again.

Virus? Spyware? etc?
My linksys router and a little common sense on my part prevents 99.99% of that stuf. I dont run virus software or adaware stuff - because I dont Need it. in 10 years of being on the internet, ive gotten a virus exactly twice.

I got an IBM thinkpad 1.5 years ago - it came pre-loaded with win2k. After uninstalling all the stuff I didnt want, its been rock solid stable. No blue screens, no hiccups, no compatability issues with software, despite that ive taken it to numerous LAN parties, uninstalled and re-installed many many many games and a few other programs.

My desktop PC (now 3 years old) runs fine. no compatability issues with its hardware (wasnt always that way though). And despite being that old it still runs todays games and other apps reasonabley well (I built it to Last). But it doesnt have the reliability record of my Thinkpad. I think ive reloaded windows 4-5 times while ive had the machine and reformatted the main HD once.

So - yes while a mac can do all of the above (save PC games). It just takes some knowing what your doing. Instead of the Plug and Pray methods that seem to be the norm :D

Ive used every version of windows, 3.1-XP and its been fine. Sure, it does get bogged down with crap and slows down over time, but it still runs fast enough for my liking, im no power-gamer, I can barely afford audio stuff, let alone loads of games. :p

I have used Redhat, and im thinking of installing SUSE and Mandrake on my second-sortof-server-project-pc, but I cant be **** to learn how to use it.

When my step-dad refuses to let me borrow his copy of XP, then I might think of going over to Linux. Until im forced to pay for Microsofts crap, im not bothered by it.

As I havent used linux much, I cant comment on how it compares to Windows, so if all the hype is true, I really could be missing out on a lot. My afore-mentioned-second-pc 400MHz processor overclocked to 500MHz) did seem to run much faster than it did under 98, but im not really that bothered.

I am thinking of getting a bigger hard drive, so a seperate partition for Linux could be a possibility thinking about it...

Enough thinking outloud... :p

On "The Gadget Show" last night, they ran a comparison between PC and Mac. One interesting test was that they dropped both machines (G5 and PC base units without monitor or keyboards etc.) from a balcony onto a concrete floor.

The motherboard of the PC was broken, but cost £65 to replace it from any computer store. (they went to PC World) They had it up and running in 3 hours.

The Mac could only be fixed by an authorised dealer. £400 for a new motherboard, and £50 per hour labour. It would take 3 days minimum because it would have to be sent away.

Macs just aren't DIY:D

Don't believe everything on television.....

What computer isn't diy?

Any laptop PC: Almost all proprietary parts.
Many "named" PC's: Try upgrading an IBM, or tweaking a Dell's BIOS.
Motherboards rarely fail in properly designed (thermally managed) computers.
Of course if you are stupid enough to drop one 30 feet onto a concrete floor, as demonstrated on the programme in question, you deserve all you get!

Contrary to what the programme suggested, it is easy to buy all the peripheral components for a Mac in the UK. They're all more expensive than the cheapest Chinese PC imports, but the quality is consistent, and they're all compatible. It is though, hard to get a motherboard.

I'm not sure where JasonL gets his information (maybe i misinterpreted his previous post), but the original PCI bus was invented by Intel. It was later adopted by PCI-SIG, the people who ratified it into a usable standard and made it cross platform (Everything from Intel x86 boxes to DEC Alpha, Sun Microsystems, SGI, and countless imbedded platforms run it...).

If you can remember that far back, there were 3 previous bus standards in the PC camp (ISA (8/16bit), EISA (32 bit extension to ISA) and VL-BUS (Vesa Local Bus, sort of like PCI mixed with ISA), for Apple it was Nubus and PDS, Sun had SBUS, SGI used VME, and IBM used Microchannel. There may have been more, but I think that covers most of the major ones. Apple took it's sweet time adopting the PCI standard. I believe they didn't move all of their models away from Nubus/PDS until almost 4 years after the standard was ratified (ratified in 94, apple stopped selling Nubus/PDS based systems in 98).

Anyhow, I've used just about any platform you can think of (Debian Linux and Windows 98 at my day job, a customized gentoo distribution at my own company, FreeBSD for my home server, XP Pro for my gaming machine, and from time to time other platforms such as OSX, Solaris). Heck, I've even used the NeXT station that OSX is based from. My opinion is that you need to separate the OS and the hardware.

As far as hardware goes, Mac's are decent, but certainly not stellar. I'm fond of a 64 bit power pc architecture, but to be blunt, it's not worth the money. Period. I can build a comparable X86 system (64 bit and all) for far less money that will completely smoke a mac. AMD's 64 bit x86 extensions have all but relegated the 64bitness of the Mac to a small blurb on a features sheet. In fact, the 64bit extensions pretty much make no difference on Power PC platform compared to what AMD's extensions do for the x86 platform.

For the software, I think OSX as a desktop environment/OS IS superior to windows/linux. However, OSX will always sit by the wayside because the majority of applications and games are directed at the x86 market. If Jobs were to pull his head out of his you-know-what and make OSX a cross platform system, I think Apple could give Microsoft a run for the money. However his ego and shortsightedness will never allow this to happen.

So, you have the conundrum justifying why a mac is so much more expensive than a comparable x86 based PC. Do you think that the operating system justifies the price and performance differences? I don't think so, and most of the computer buying public seems to agree with me.

For the record, I have never caught any virii in windows. My home gaming box is a 2.1 ghz Athlon XP running Windows XP. I've always used Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox instead of IE, and I've used Mozilla/PINE/eudora for my e-mail. If you do happen to catch some spyware on your box, Adaware does a great job of blowing it out. To say that you need a huge machine to run XP is a false statement -- I have it running with no problems at all on a 450 mhz P3 laptop with 192 megs of ram and a 3 GB harddrive. All of my machines with teh exception of my laptop and my first three computers and (when I was 6, 11 and 13 respectively) were built by myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.