How to cut/shorten long heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got some rather large and long heatsinks, which I want to shorten to fit my amp projects. As I don't have a degree in mechanics ;) I would like to know if anybody could give me some advices...

Can I do it my self?
If so, which kind of tool is needed ??

If not, what kind of company should I go to, to have them to cut the heatsinks to the correct size (without destroying them) ??

All advises are welcome ;)

They should be cut with a large, high speed, circular sawing machine. Find the peole who sell nonferrous alloys near you. They will have one of the following machines for cutting aluminum; Trennjaeger, Eisele, Kaltenbach, Fom, Elumatic. The machines will have at least 400 and maybe 500 mm blades with carbide tips and turn 2400-3600 RPM. If used properly, the finish will be very good and leave little burr.

Don't use a band saw. It will look like poo.

First question: Do you plan to mount then inside an enclosure or outside. If inside appearance is not so important. I have simply used a hacksaw for this. The results are unsightly but effective. Also cheap. It takes a little time depending on the size and thickness of the material.

If they are going to be mounted externally - visible - you can still use the hacksaw but must work very slowly in order to keep the cut straight. Gaffer tape wrapped around the sink can be used as a guide to help keep the cut straight - I find it makes a better guide than marker pen. Afterward you will need a file to "dress" the cut, i.e. make it pretty.

A table saw would be much easier, but you didn't indicate you had one and buying a powrert tool for a single job doesn't strike me as cost effective.

A couple of months ago I made a wall mount rack/shelving for about 600 CD's from industrial aluminum grade L-angle. It's in the living room and my wife thinks it looks good (sort or neo-Bauhaus). Of the total time spent on it 60-70% was spent with files, wire brush (on a drill) and sandpaper to make the cuts look good. The issue comes down to whether you have the time and can stand the boredom.

Personally, I've little desire to repeat the project. But such things are possible.:dead: :dead:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I cut mine with a band saw with pretty large teeth, but you are right- a few seconds on the belt sander and they were perfect-plus I flattened the backs the same way to get good contact with the chip.

ACD, If you have a chop saw or access to one, the metal cutting blade would allow you to also do many smaller projects similar to Peter Daniels work- wouldn't that be fun?!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.