Telegraph road, imaging? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Telegraph road, imaging?

All,
I've just been listening to Dire straits, telegraph road on CD, at 3:38 seconds in, Mark Knoflers head seems to make a violent shift to the right, about 0.5m in my estimation. The soundstage on my system seems quite stable normally, with drums and percusion anyway. Voices are not as good, but i'm sure this effect is on the CD, any thoughts?
Mark
Old 26th May 2004, 08:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll check it tonight. One of my favorites...

Jan Didden
Old 27th May 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes Mark, right on the dot! Never noticed it before.
It's only for a few seconds, though, then he moves back to stage center. But there is also something just before the 3:38 point, as if there is a momentary rise in level of his voice. All seems to me that someone (accidently?) is fiddling with some controls.

Jan Didden
Old 28th May 2004, 11:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cheers Jan,
It sounds too quick for a head movement to me, suggesting a level control shift, but there seems to be an associated tonal shift in his voice, a bit like a "wow" of a record slowing. My system really emphasises this, i don't have to be in the sweet spot or really listening, it's really obvious just being in the room when it's playing. Do you think i have a problem??
Mark
Old 1st June 2004, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

God, I love that song.

Carry on!

Best,

George Ferguson
Old 1st June 2004, 03:19 AM   #6
Banned

Default Oh, no........

I know someone who will be up all night trying to confirm it.

Actually, we never listened to that track much........."Private Investigations" was one of our reference tracks.

OK....we did listen to it......only to see if we could hear his voice crackle as he moved closer to the mic in the first bar.

Jocko
Old 1st June 2004, 06:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark25
Cheers Jan,
It sounds too quick for a head movement to me, suggesting a level control shift, but there seems to be an associated tonal shift in his voice, a bit like a "wow" of a record slowing. My system really emphasises this, i don't have to be in the sweet spot or really listening, it's really obvious just being in the room when it's playing. Do you think i have a problem??
Mark
I don't know how a system could 'emphasize' this. Obviously there is something irregular there, and that your system clearly shows it is not a problem but for me a tribute to your system (and your ears..).

Jan Didden
Old 1st June 2004, 06:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
I don't know how a system could 'emphasize' this.
Jan Didden
Well, i've been thinking there could be something wrong in the X-over region on my speakers. This is because voices are not as fixed in the soundstage as precusion, guitar and drums. However, i took my system to a friends house sat, he runs valves, 2A3's 8w SE in particular. To my suprise, the voices became much more fixed and a whole new aspect of hi-fi emerged from my speakers, stage depth! This has made my think twice about tri-amping with SS and valves mixed. Maybe i don't have so much of a problem, just my system seems to focus on the 2D soundstage only, it is dual mono after the CD player.
Mark
Old 4th June 2004, 03:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I too, listened to that track, earlier today, but I listened to it on a vinyl record. Great recording!
Old 4th June 2004, 05:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Half speed master LPs

I used to listen to Private Investigation of their album but with the half speed master LP which is better than the Japanese pressing. Using it with the Pink Triangle turn table, early Meridian preamp and its matching balanced 100W mono blocks mated with Tannoy Super Red Monitors; volumn turn to one o'clock. Even with quiet moment in that track the background bass alone made me sweat. Those were the good old days.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!