Telegraph road, imaging?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
I've just been listening to Dire straits, telegraph road on CD, at 3:38 seconds in, Mark Knoflers head seems to make a violent shift to the right, about 0.5m in my estimation. The soundstage on my system seems quite stable normally, with drums and percusion anyway. Voices are not as good, but i'm sure this effect is on the CD, any thoughts?
Mark

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes Mark, right on the dot! Never noticed it before.
It's only for a few seconds, though, then he moves back to stage center. But there is also something just before the 3:38 point, as if there is a momentary rise in level of his voice. All seems to me that someone (accidently?) is fiddling with some controls.

Jan Didden

Cheers Jan,
It sounds too quick for a head movement to me, suggesting a level control shift, but there seems to be an associated tonal shift in his voice, a bit like a "wow" of a record slowing. My system really emphasises this, i don't have to be in the sweet spot or really listening, it's really obvious just being in the room when it's playing. Do you think i have a problem??
Mark

Oh, no........

I know someone who will be up all night trying to confirm it.

Actually, we never listened to that track much........."Private Investigations" was one of our reference tracks.

OK....we did listen to it......only to see if we could hear his voice crackle as he moved closer to the mic in the first bar.

Jocko

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark25 said:
Cheers Jan,
It sounds too quick for a head movement to me, suggesting a level control shift, but there seems to be an associated tonal shift in his voice, a bit like a "wow" of a record slowing. My system really emphasises this, i don't have to be in the sweet spot or really listening, it's really obvious just being in the room when it's playing. Do you think i have a problem??
Mark

I don't know how a system could 'emphasize' this. Obviously there is something irregular there, and that your system clearly shows it is not a problem but for me a tribute to your system (and your ears..).

Jan Didden

janneman said:
I don't know how a system could 'emphasize' this.
Jan Didden

Well, i've been thinking there could be something wrong in the X-over region on my speakers. This is because voices are not as fixed in the soundstage as precusion, guitar and drums. However, i took my system to a friends house sat, he runs valves, 2A3's 8w SE in particular. To my suprise, the voices became much more fixed and a whole new aspect of hi-fi emerged from my speakers, stage depth! This has made my think twice about tri-amping with SS and valves mixed. Maybe i don't have so much of a problem, just my system seems to focus on the 2D soundstage only, it is dual mono after the CD player.
Mark

Half speed master LPs

I used to listen to Private Investigation of their album but with the half speed master LP which is better than the Japanese pressing. Using it with the Pink Triangle turn table, early Meridian preamp and its matching balanced 100W mono blocks mated with Tannoy Super Red Monitors; volumn turn to one o'clock. Even with quiet moment in that track the background bass alone made me sweat. Those were the good old days.:bawling:

Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark25 said:

Well, i've been thinking there could be something wrong in the X-over region on my speakers. This is because voices are not as fixed in the soundstage as precusion, guitar and drums. However, i took my system to a friends house sat, he runs valves, 2A3's 8w SE in particular. To my suprise, the voices became much more fixed and a whole new aspect of hi-fi emerged from my speakers, stage depth! This has made my think twice about tri-amping with SS and valves mixed. Maybe i don't have so much of a problem, just my system seems to focus on the 2D soundstage only, it is dual mono after the CD player.
Mark

Mark,

Did you listen to Telegraph Road? Did you hear the same anomaly?

Jan Didden

No we didn't, but the speaker positioning was far from optimum anyway. Interestingly though, i've just built a couple of gainclones on BrianGT boards. (they have a non-standard 1/2 wave psu's). They give deeper soundstage than my p3a, not as deep as valves. The effect is noticable, but you have to listen for it. His head moves further, but not as violently. If you were listening to the track seriously, you'd notice it, but it wouldn't grab you attention just by being in the room as with my p3a. It would appear to me, that my p3a is particularly accurate in the 2D soundstage at the total expense of any 3D soundstage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.