How to wire a Shunted, Fake Law Pot?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so I built a shunted voume control (as per HH's "passive preamp" thread) using my 10K linear pot and a 15K resistor. This worked pretty well and there was no "9 o'clock jump" in the volume response. More like fairly smooth vol. increase plateauing at about 180 deg. rotation - the last 90 deg. did not increase volume furthur.

This was a better outcome than I expected so since things were going well I decided to do the Law Fake. I put a 1.5K (10K/6.67) resistor from signal out to ground. Now the plateau happens at about 90 deg rotation! - the last 180 deg does not increase volume, and max level is very attenuated.

I realize looking at it now that this was pretty stupid. The Elliot law fake design [ http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm ] is for a tradtional series wired pot.

Can anyone help me do a shunted, fake law arrangement? Again I'm using a 10K linear pot.
Help much appreciated

peaceandmusic
Sanaka

Law faking

There is no reason not to use a resistor that gives the sensitivity that you want. The ratio is not set in stone and I have used different ratios before. The taper varies from logrithmic but so do many "audio taper" pots. What is the output inpedance of your source? You may be better off with a 100K pot and a larger shunt resistor. You really would like this shunt resistor to be larger than the output impedance of your source.

Attachments

• p01-f1.gif
    p01-f1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 307
Thanks for responding, Mr. H.

My main source (until funds allow, a cheap Sony CD player) specs: "Max output level 2v at 50Kohms" and "Load Impedance Over 10Kohms" It has variable line out which I don't intend to use (just leave wide open).

What I was attempting was a shunt volume control as per your passive-preamp-in-a-hockey-puck-box - i.e. in & out connected directly with a resistor, and out also to ground thru a pot. This as I said worked fairly well. Since this was a linear pot, however, I tried law faking it in addition, which didn't work so well. Is there a way to use both these concepts together?

Thanks
PeaceandMusic
Sanaka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.