Stereo speakers with no stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello good people of diyaudio.com.

I have a question.

I have a few computers which are fed to a Peavey 6-channel mini sound mixer. The RQ 200. The mixer feeds two harmon/kardon small speakers, and a Sharp stereo set. Four speakers in all.

My question is: is it possible to hook up my stereo speakers directly to the mixer? I want to eliminate the middle unit, or replace it with a smaller device, if absolutly necessary. The speakers have the two-wire deal, which get stuck to a clip in the rear of the stereo set.

Can I do this? If so, how?

Umm well i'm assuming the speakers are self amplified. If so look up passive mixer or multiplexer or something like that.

Basically its mulitiple input connections that are connected to one output connection and have resistors in parrallel. Should work in reverse to split signal. Of course they also make various Y-cables depending on what kind of connection you need. I know for sure you can get RCA and 1/4" headphone Y-cables (which most mixers use at least one of).

My Stereo.
Should have given you that before.

I just found out that I don't really know anything about sound, so explain as you would a newbie please. :smash:

I don't get any of this:
Basically its mulitiple input connections that are connected to one output connection and have resistors in parrallel. Should work in reverse to split signal.
resistors in parrallel?

So if these things are self-amplified, could I hook them into my mixer?? I tend to think that I would need to put them into Monitor Input?

Thanks for all your help. :)

1. Where are your HK speakers connected? To the Sharp stereo?

2. If the HK speakers are on the output of the Sharp (means they are not amplified internally), then no, you have to keep the Sharp stereo in the system to amplify the outputs of the mixer to speaker-level.

3. If the HK's are self-amplified, then you can attach them to the outputs of the mixer by making a phono to stero-miniplug adapter.

Hope this helps...

-Matt

klutuk said:
My question is: is it possible to hook up my stereo speakers directly to the mixer? I want to eliminate the middle unit, or replace it with a smaller device, if absolutly necessary. The speakers have the two-wire deal, which get stuck to a clip in the rear of the stereo set.

Can I do this? If so, how?

:whazzat:Well! The answer is no! You can't hook up speakers directly to the mixer because the outputs are line level (unless they're active ie: self powered). You need an amplifier. This may well be what you refer to as a 'middle unit'. What I would recommend you get is a powered mixer (which contains an inbuilt amplifier) or some active speakers. I would not recommend getting peavey products because they are quite expensive, unreliable and tend to sound a bit dodgy. I would recommend soundcraft or mackie. You could alternatively use a power amp, which are available very cheap second hand or new. If you don't want to run the system loud then a hifi amp would do, but use a separates amp, not one of those all in one cd/tuner/tape/amp/christmastreelight units.

hey, sorry it's been fifteen years since I've posted a reply. Usually, I'm pretty good at keeping up what I started.

Thanks to everyones great help, I think I understand things a little better. I need an amplifier.

I knew that Peavey was a sucky company, but I didn't buy this mixer, it was my dads, and he doesn't have much personal experience when it comes to sound (to be frank, he doesn't have much of an ear, but he's got a great brain).

Next time, I will buy a soundcraft or a mackie, as suggested, unless I hear something to the contrary. -- But don't worry, I'm not duped into something easily. I'm not even going to take your word for it... but I'm glad you gave me the suggestion.

Last thing,
I was reading some of the reviews in the post I made above, and I came to realize something: this stereo set breaks easily. I've had it repaired once, but it broke again soon after that.

I started this post because I got fed up with the CD player, which only works 10% of the time, and that might be an overestimate.

It's a cheap thing anyway, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do: I'll get an amp, and buy a new set of speakers. I'll keep the mixer however, just for now. To be honest, it hasn't given me any trouble (save for a problem with the left dbl LED meter; it gets stuck at half-unity LED), and I can't tell much of a difference between what I've heard elsewhere and this.

The sound is coming from a computer anyway, so I don't think a better mixer will make much of a difference unless I buy a better sound card, which I could see happening... maybe.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.