Worst case scenarios needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2004, 03:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Worst case scenarios needed

From the Zobel thread and aged cap posts that make me want to know what are the worst cases in DIY equipments failures.

Will speakers get set on fire ever by system failure?
In power amps melt down blown fuse could not stop the fire if it was already started, correct?
What mechanical fire distinguishers or system can be diy or implemented without affecting the sonic performance and a little bit of peace of mind. But unit testing will be expensive I think?

Any suggestions? or post your worst case experiences please..
Chris
Old 22nd May 2004, 06:45 PM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Worst case scenarios needed

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma
or post your worst case experiences please..
12 years ago I built an amplifier. Everything was running well and tested before I put the cover on. But one screw ran across AC cable. Fortunate enough, I shipped the amp without further testing. The amp was sent back to me with complaint
Old 22nd May 2004, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

229VA toroidal trannie. New mounting bolt. New mounting bolt too long. Shorted turn to case. Bang. Took out all the fuses back to the consumer unit...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th May 2004, 04:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default FIRE!!

I guess by the response to this thread 99.9999% of the amps out there in the world must have equipped with a Zobel network. No body actually set the equipment on fire? At least I know only one member here burn his house down so far. So our DIY safety record is pretty good. No fire no melt down except a few blown fuses..
No one actually has to use their fire distinguishers?
Regards,
Chris
Old 26th May 2004, 05:01 AM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

"229VA toroidal trannie. New mounting bolt. New mounting bolt too long. Shorted turn to case. Bang. Took out all the fuses back to the consumer unit..."

Chuckle! I discovered this the hard way when building my first amp. It's funny . . . now.

Hide this!Advertise here!