how can i protect my soundcard's input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know how to protect a soundcard input/output from a power spike while still getting good quality sound ?

Attachments

• delta 1010.jpg
    delta 1010.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 134
They will distort as you approach the limit voltage. Lower level signals won't be affected much. The cut-ff is not abrupt and the effect probably won't sound offensive unless a high input is really sustained.

One thing you need to find out is: what is the maximum peak (not RMS) voltage allowed for your soundcard. The zener voltage needs to be a bit lower than that. For example, if the highest peak allowed was 6V, I would use two 4.3V zeners which results in a limit of approximately 5V so that you have a saftey margin.

If someone has a more precise rule or calculation, hopefully they will post it.

I recommend some resistance in series prior to the diodes unless all of your sources are short-circuit protected. You don't want to protect the sound card by blowing out the source component when the voltage gets high enough for the diodes to conduct (or risk frying the diodes).

I used series-connected LEDs instead of zeners, supposedly much quieter.

As long as the series resistance is a reasonable fraction of the input impedance, you should be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.