Why am I picking up so much noise on my scope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some "measurements" I made with my scope, O think there's much noise on it, is this normal?

1st picture, nothing connected to the scope (no probe)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 276
2nd picture, only a 10:1 probe connected on the scope, but not connected to any circuit.

The probe's tip is directly connected to the ground wire of the probe
You can see some 50Hz and HF

Note1: the amplitude of the 50Hz varries when I place the probe elsewhere

Note2: all the measurements have been made in storage mode, otherwise the camera would only take the spot and not the full screen

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 260
First of all: You won't hear this noise anyway, so why do you care ? :devilr:

2nd (and serious) try:

1.) The loop that you form with the ground wire will be able to pick up some noise and RF. If you a curious enough you might connect a shorted BNC to the input and see if there is an improvement.

2.) This small amount of noise isn't that bad at all with the scope set to its maximum sensitivity.

Regards

Charles

Bricolo said:

It makes my scope totally uneffective to measure power supply noise
You must probably make yourself a preamp with gain of 100 or 1000.

AD797, LT1028 etc with batteries. Don't forget to a LP-filter so you only measure < 20 kHz.

Your GND cable is an antenna! You can twist it around the probe in order to get a smaller loop (=antenna).

Just check the datasheets for the opamps. It's really simple and you can do a P2P or vero-board design.

The thing is that you have an environment with RFI noise and you cable picks it up. What happens if your short the inputs of the oscilloscope? Completely silent or still noise?

Don't forget that your scope also has digital noise with can be rather high. I used an old Tek 100 MSp scope with noise of 2-5 levels (of 256)!

Do you have your scope plugged in in an earthed mains outlet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.