PCB Layout Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, we have given him many suggestions, could maybe offer him some conclusion, if you allow it to me.

I have been able to test almost all the programs of this type that there is in the market, and perhaps I can to save you a lot of work. My favorite to draw schemes and PCB's is Proteus: www.labcenter.co.uk.

How do you build a circuit? If has, for example: 30 resistors, 20 capacitors and 12 transistors you rise of their work table 30 times to catch every time a resistor? And the same thing with the rest of the components?.

Or do you rise once, does catch all the components that needs, it takes them until their work table and does it build the circuit? I suppose that it will use the second method. Well. It is this way how Proteus works, seems the only made with logic.

In the other programs you have to open the librarys however every time that needs a component. In Proteus, you open the window of the librarys, of great size, what allows to see all the components once and for all, without having to look for them for the library, and when it selects those that needs, with a double click, they are stored in a 'tray' that is permanently visible in the right part of the screen. You can already close the librarys. Will only need to open them again if he has forgotten some component.

Above this 'tray' a menu made of icons is located with the most habitual functions, that is to say, once selected the component, doesn't have to travel the whole screen until the bar of menus to act on him. It can seem a foolishness, but if you have to use the program a lot will understand the importance of these small comforts.

Above this menu of icons there is a 'map' in the one that will see all the actions that it makes on the components, or the area of the circuit in which is working. The rest of the program is equally intuitive and easy of using.

In summary: with Proteus five or ten times less time in making a design that with any other program of this type.

They have an economic version, Proteus Lite, that is free up to 100 pin, for limitless pin is necessary to pay 30 Sterling. It doesn't include the connection between schemes and PCB (netlist) and, if needs a groundplane, one can only make manually.

If you need these functions will have to buy some professional version. There is a 'Start' that it allows a maximum of 500 pin and it costs 150 Sterling. It can upgrade to other versions.

If Proteus didn't exist, I would buy Eagle: www.cadsoftusa.com.

About Spice simulation programs, my favorite is SIMetrix: www.newburytech.co.uk.

Their GUI is the cleanest and clearer in all the programs of this type, its simulation capacity it is excellent, it is tremendously intuitive and has functions, how to accumulate several simulations in oneself graph that you allow to compare with great easiness, for example, the work of several models of operational in oneself circuit. In the other programs each simulation generates a new graph and, the only way of making comparisons, is to export them toward some program of handling of graphics and to superimpose them to be able to compare them. Most of the programs is limited to erase the previous simulation.

And to add new librarys, or new models, it is a function that SIMetrix carries out in an automatic way. In most of the programs to make this represents an enormous work. But... it is expensive, you leaves their budget.

My second favorite program is Tina: www.tina.com.

It is also an intuitive and easy program of using, without arriving to the excellences of SIMetrix. Has a version 'Classic' that enters in their budget, it is the one that would suit him to buy.

Don't buy the version 'Basic', it is thrown money, it only allows up to 100 nodes. SIMetrix has a version 'Intro' that allows up to 120 nodes, is better and is free.

With these two programs: Proteus 'Start' and Tina 'Classic' it will be you better equipped that most of the professionals, and their budget is enough.

I would like something of this to be him of utility and, please, accept my excuses for the size of this E-mail.

Happy days,

Raúl Couto.

I've been using CircuitMaker 2000 for a while (got it for er... hrmmm... *free*... shhh :D ) ... basically, it's a stripped-down version of Protel, with the same SPICE simulation and probing tools, with the PCB software separated (TraxMaker). The interface is HORRID, but well.. that's about it. The rest is very decent, and the SPICE implementation is as good as Protel's. If you can live with that and don't really need some of the more advanced options of Protel, it would be worth a look.

Experience has shown that you should not trust the simulations in CircuitMaker. The digital sims are borderline and the anologue ones arent worth a grain of salt......

I've tried most of the packages available and Electronics Workbench is my favourite; you've just got to be able to put up with the rubbish that the authors go on with.

AudioFreak said:
Experience has shown that you should not trust the simulations in CircuitMaker. The digital sims are borderline and the anologue ones arent worth a grain of salt......

Um, really? I have to confess i haven't played a lot with the digital simulations, but the analoge part seemed ok to me. Which packages did you compare it against?

As for Electronics Workbench... yeah, i really like it too! Whenever you need a quick sim, you can have it working in two minutes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.