Article about the evolution of audio suff the last 100 years?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is for a school work. I'm looking for articles about the evolution of audio systems, from the begining (tubes, I think) to now.
Something about how the new electronic technologies have been applied to mudic reproduction.

Thank you for your help ;)

Well, this is relatively intersting. I just did a lecture at my school to a bunch of teachers and students on the history of active devices in electronics.

I basically went over early vacuum devices, then solid state, and gave examples of how each are used, their advantages over eachother, and why certain types are used the way they are.

I may be able to give some sort of report or article on the evolution of the electronics application in audio specifically.

Any questions I can answer anyway?

Nice :)

What did you mean by active devices? Amplifiers?
I'm thinking about something less specific for my work, but limited to electronic devices (so, no loudspeakers)

In fact, my work has to be based on artcles found in the press, on the net... And that's what I'l looking for

Bricolo said:
Hi all,

This is for a school work. I'm looking for articles about the evolution of audio systems, from the begining (tubes, I think) to now.

Any particular reason not to start earlier than the electric era?
The 78 rpm record was invented in 1898, if I remember the
year correctly, and then wax rolls had been around for a while.
There were also piano rolls (piano scrolls, ...?).

It is surprising how little has actually happened since
the start of the electric era in 1926/27. The sound of many
recordings done at that time is still surprisingly good in
many aspects (although not in all aspects, I admit).

Define your topic/viewpoint WELL

Many things happened regarding storage & reproduction of music between 1905 (I assume that's the starting date) and today. Electronics regarding recording, storage media, and reproduction have evolved.
Can you refine (i.e. limit) your presentation -- or settle for a chronology? If so, you must be able to google it using key-words (e.g. vacuum tube) and further refine it. Painstaking but probably effective -- especially if you're led to a reference history book!
Good luck.

I'm out of luck today :bawling:
Googling gives no usefull result, even with 10 words

Please, do someone have an article about the history of audio reproduction?
Something like: tubes were first used in 19xx, the transistor was invented in ..."

Like Gregm said, a chronology is what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.