The boombox project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2004, 04:53 PM   #11
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A3rd.Zero
I was thinking about a car head unit. Do you know what is typical current draw from a car head unit?

Phase_accurate: What?, Please explain.

Thank you

Milo
Hi Milo,

I'd expect static current to be quite low < 1 amp.

With typical efficiencies of class aB output stages and output
25W per channel clipping (x4) you can expect around 5 amps
average current drain, peak current ~ 10 amps.

sreten.
Old 12th May 2004, 05:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I would assume that using lower impeadence speakers would cause more current draw than the 6 ohm speakers you're currently using.

My personal opinion is that if you're looking to make a "hi-fi" boombox, I would probably stay away from the integrated amps in a car stereo headunit. However, it would probably be a great idea for the cd/radio portion of the boom box. Heck, you could even look for one of the double-din units that has a tape deck so you could really get that boombox effect

Maybe a decent headunit off of ebay + gainclones would equal something pretty dang tasty. Another option on the speakers is you could always have a foam bung or something to stuff the port to give you the "boom", with the option of removing it when you actually want it to sound decent
Old 12th May 2004, 07:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I like the idea of using the preouts and then using a gainclone or some such. It would be nice to use a head unit, which has the option of upgrading. I could even use one from the car and just plug it in when Im ready to go!

Ok now about the speakers, Im thinking something simple like the GR AV-1. I also like the idea of using a bg neo8 just for fun, but I dont know if I need a tweeter (not sure about its top end). Then the speaker boxes will in essence just be a woofer box, that might help get the low end.

Thanks for your help guys.

With ~2amps draw I guess i'm not going to try this with batteries, just AC on this one.

Milo
Old 12th May 2004, 08:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

This year Panasonic makes an in-dash head unit using the new Texas Instruments digital amplifier technology. Described in detail here http://www.analogzone.com/avp_0105.htm. It is really efficient and provides 60 watts per channel of actual good clean RMS power. MXE CQ-C9800U.

Hide this!Advertise here!