I loose my hearing when I go to the gym - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2004, 05:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default I loose my hearing when I go to the gym

...anybody else experience this, after a strenuous workout I cant' hear a thing, infact if I pressurize my ears right I can hear myself talking, its a wierd phenomena. Wonder whats up with that.
Old 6th May 2004, 05:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
Maybe stop working out so often and relax in front of the hifi more often?? Never heard of anyone with that problem though....got to be worth checkin out
Steve
Old 6th May 2004, 06:25 PM   #3
future is offline future  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to future Send a message via AIM to future Send a message via MSN to future Send a message via Yahoo to future
As I know, a pressed nerve could cause these things, like arm pain, loss of vision...
It is better to go and see a doctor.
Old 6th May 2004, 08:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I loose my hearing when I go to the gym

Quote:
Originally posted by eRiCdWoNg
...anybody else experience this, after a strenuous workout I cant' hear a thing, infact if I pressurize my ears right I can hear myself talking, its a wierd phenomena. Wonder whats up with that.
I used to experience that all the time when I used to lift weights, although to a lesser degree than you it sounds like, so FWIW, you're not a "freak".
Old 6th May 2004, 08:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Many possibilities

This can be caused numerous ways but some are not so nice to be unsure of, especially those relating to atherosclerosis (heart disease). Unless this has been happening to you since you were a teenager, you should get checked out by a good doctor.

For myself, it's easy to make myself light-headed. Strenuous leg-lifts (legs up, head down) cause the blood vessels in the legs to enlarge while those in the torso constrict so upon standing up, bingo. When this happens, many perceptual symptoms can occur depending on how close to actually fainting I get. Loss of hearing is very closely related to fainting. Also very acute hearing.

Anyway, common sense applies and just make sure you are not typical of most Americans with your diet. Otherwise, you are guaranteed circulatory problems of one sort or another ranging from what you experience now to heart attack to stroke to loss of interest in audio....

-Robert
Old 6th May 2004, 10:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
ok let me rephrase that, I made it sound alot worse then it really is. After I work out, I have diminished audio perception.

I havent been working out regularly for the past few months but I remember before when I did work out regularly it did this at first but then I think the problem went away. Probably my body got used to it.

PS I'm 22 so I'm not that old.
Old 6th May 2004, 10:10 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

After my workouts, I have trouble hearing because I'm breathing so hard. But that's the problem with being old.
Old 8th May 2004, 09:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

PS I'm 22 so I'm not that old.

Age does not necessarly have anything to do with it. I would suggest that you get it checked out - sure it might be nothing, but better safe than sorry. That compressed feeling in your ears can be a sign of high blood pressure.

Hide this!Advertise here!