Can somebody understand this mentality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So....using that logic.....

That means that Phred is the world's biggest nerd!!!

Ha, ha, ha , ha!

"You don't need to eat all that chocolate, fat boy."

"Hah..........don't call me 'fat'............*** ***!"

"Don't call me *** ***, fat ***!"

Etc.

Jocko.....not as big as Cartman.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: So....using that logic.....

Jocko Homo said:
That means that Phred is the world's biggest nerd!!!

Ha, ha, ha , ha!

"You don't need to eat all that chocolate, fat boy."

"Hah..........don't call me 'fat'............*** ***!"

"Don't call me *** ***, fat ***!"

Etc.

Jocko.....not as big as Cartman.
Did you two ever work together in a Milwaukee brewery?

Back to the original topic,

I used to have a nice system (systemdek, audiolab, mirage) and I would fuss with it and move speakers around and compare recordings, etc, (not to mention get really P.O.'d because the high fidelity revealed to me what utter crap many of the recordings I used to like actually were) and it was fun. Really fun actually. Ive heard some of the best stuff you can buy and I have a pretty good ear. I also play classical guitar, although rather casually, used to jam with a friend of mine, and tinker around with various other instruments. I attend orchestral, chamber, and Jazz performances and had my share of punk and dance music when I was younger.

For me, playing music and listening to music are very different activities linked by a common thread. learning to play a piece totally alters the experience of listening to it. Sometimes I dont even want to listen to it once I can play it. In fact, I dont really listen to recordings of pieces I can play unless its to hear interpretation, which is more of an intellectual aspect. Learning a piece is also a way to become intimately acquianted with a piece of music. Pesonally, I cant understand a piece by listening, even with a score to follow along, the same way I can if I learn to play the piece.

Listening to a hifi is a totally different experience. I love it, and I even obsess over it, and without it I dont feel like myself, but its not the same as playing. I deeply enjoy listening to recorded music, but in order to fully experience the music through electronic reproduction I would have to invest alot of time and money to achieve that level of reproduction quality. I personally dont mind this because I too am facinated by the gear itself. Hifi, distinct from music, is one of my passions. I am facinated that electricity can reproduce the Berlin philharmonic in my living room.
But it takes time to choose the right equipment, understand what factors effect reproduction, and find worthy recordings. I have also been able to enjoy music listening to $30 computer speakers:bigeyes: although I would rather do abit better. If a musician intends to refine their skills, I think its quite understandable if they choose not to devote time and considerable financial resources to something that is a compromise anyway.

Im sure that none of the people you refer to would say no if you offered to give them a free hi end system, set it up, and find good recordings for them. Probably you volunteer your knowlege when your friends are about to throw away money on commercial garbage systems. But I think its easy to see why not everyone that loves music is a hifi freak.

In some cases I can give you a reasonably sound explanation for the lack of interest in high quality systems.
As people grow older, their hearing also is getting worse, in many cases by a magnitude. Especially if they have had a job in a noisy environment and havnt taken the nessecery precautions (wich unfortunately it is quite common not to).

A good example that made me understand how much this actually means would be on an occasion sitting in my fathers livingroom. The valves of the radiators made a terrible high frequency noise. I mentioned this to my father, as I found it rather unpleasent. He told that he could barely hear it....he is only 60 years old. I believe his hearing isnt worse than average for his age.

If peoples hearing is that bad, then I sure can understand why they dont put in a whole lot of effort to get a great sounding system.

Magura:)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I know lots of pro sound engineers, some live, some recording, and I have to say that 90% of them have fairly cheap systems at home, and many don't even listen to that much music when off duty...

p.s.
You answered "yes" to 44 of 100 questions, making you 56.0% nerd pure (44.0% nerd corrupt); that is, you are 56.0% pure in the nerd domain (you have 44.0% nerd in you).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 39%, based on a comparison of your test results with 378675 other submissions for this test.

The things you do to waste time at work! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.