Where to spend the $$$$ ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well important to know if you want phono as that will eat into budget. If you are just using line sources a simple pass B1 style buffer can be built very cheaply and leave more budget for the power amp.

The biggest problem with DIY is the cost of the box it goes in. If you want it to look nice you can easily blow 40% of your budget on that. This is why my DIY efforts always look shonky as I run out of money!

Back on track, phono wise, do you need MM or MC

And what sort of amplifiers do you like and how much power do you need?

I am guessing that maybe 30w/channel might be enough but I have rarely thought about it. Most of my amps in the past have been either as part of a receiver or integrated and in the neighborhood of 120+. Rarely used it though.

Skill level is hard to judge. I think that I will have trouble if all I had was a schematic and a bag of parts. I have built some of the simpler Ebay chinese things like the $16.00 oscilloscope and the component tester. The Elekit TU8200 seemed easy enough and though not class A, seemed to have pretty good reviews.

Oh yeah, I have some 4 ohm speakers that I want to keep. I have another pair of 8 ohmers but prefer the 4ohms.

Thank you for your help.

30W per channel Class A amp is a room heater so only suitable for a cold climate and if you want electric heating. Class A tube amps are usually single digit Watt output for high efficiency speakers - as you are using your existing speakers, this would not be a suitable choice.
Suggest you read up on the various types of amps and get an idea what you want or need. Pre-built Class D module boards are efficient and still plenty of scope for DIY build of enclosures and pre-amps.
If you got 100 responses to your question, each would make a different recommendation.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My recommendation for power amp would be one of the LM3886 boards. I have a preference for TomChr's designs (Neurochrome Audio: High performance DIY audio circuits.) but there are designs to meet all requirements and pockets. There are also the Nelson Pass designs which have a fanatical following here.

Line stage would be the B1 (another NP design)

Phono there are many many choices, all good so not sure where to start on recommendations there.

Which speakers do you have? They may not be compatible with a low power class A tube amp.
What other equipment do you have now, turntable, cartridge, receiver, since some of it
may be worth keeping.

The speakers are KEF C80 and horribly inefficient. The turntable is all I have now, a Rega Planar 1. I have a Nad tuner that doesn't work and I am in the process of trying to repair it.
So, for now, I am only considering a phono preamp.
I think that I read a glowing review of an Akita ? I might have that name wrong but it is close.

Joined 2011
The speakers are KEF C80 and horribly inefficient. The turntable is all
I have now, a Rega Planar 1. I am only considering a phono preamp.

I would get a used $100 receiver or integrated amplifier (with a phono stage) locally or on ebay so you have music, assuming your Rega has a working arm and cartridge. Then build up your system as you can, and later sell the receiver. Forget about the class A tube amp though. Not with those speakers.

Last edited:
Your not going to get any definitive answers. Everybody has had different experiences. I have found if you match your amp to your speakers and treat them pretty much as partners, then go from there and add a preamp whos output is good with them amp, you will do pretty good. I made so in my friends clinic Human Growth Hormone Therapy Doctors in Fort Lauderdale. As far as effecting the overall sound I find the preamp can make the most difference. So I would work backwards from the speakers. Pick your speakers and an amp that have had good results (history) together and then start looking for a preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.