Noise cancelling microphone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2004, 11:27 AM   #1
sobazz is offline sobazz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Noise cancelling microphone?

Just a thought. Is it possible to make a noise cancelling microphone? I was mostly thinking of cancelling the self noise of cheap electret elements.

How can this be done? By casting one mic element into some sort of resin, and adding the inverted signal, or?
Old 17th April 2004, 11:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I realize that the effect of casting a mic element into e.g. epoxy resin in order to dampen vibrations/sound is not effective at lower frequencies.

How effective is it at what frequencies? I suppose the noise of electret mics are typically limited to a certain frequency band not including lower frequencies, thus making it possible to add a high pass filter in order to avoid interference with THE signal. Has anyone studied this topic?
Old 17th April 2004, 12:43 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It won't work- the noise that you're talking about is really noise. It will be uncorrelated between the two elements.
Old 17th April 2004, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks. Then it can't be dsp'ed out either.
Old 17th April 2004, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Nope. I wish there were an easy way to turn a Panasonic mike into a B&K, but there probably isn't.
Old 17th April 2004, 07:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Quote:
Nope. I wish there were an easy way to turn a Panasonic mike into a B&K,
All it takes is a phone call and a check that will clear.

Iíve been intrigued by the Linkwitz articles about hot rodding the Panasonic capsules. I have to confess that I have however been spoiled by good Mics. Perhaps thatís an even better reason to try. Iíve been curious about how far the concept can be taken.

(B&K mics are now marketed as DPA)
Old 17th April 2004, 07:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

It's a worthwhile improvement, but if you've got sausage-fingers like me, plan on destroying about as many capsules as you successfully mod.
Old 17th April 2004, 07:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Yah, well that likely the other reason I havenít done it (yet). I figure I'd get about a 30% acceptable yield. (on a good caffeine free day)

BTW, the good Mr, Linkwitz's article here:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm

(Is anyone else reminded of "Der Ring des Nibelungen" when the see his first name? Reminds me how boring my name can be)

Hide this!Advertise here!