Best Autodesk software for 3D printing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to get into 3D printing but I can't figure out which Autodesk software is best suited to the task. I can get any of them free through work. :confused:

Should I just go with AutoCAD since once I learn how to use it I can use it for other things as well?

Lots of smart people on this forum so I figured I would try asking here first before registering at a 3D printing forum.

To create 3D models for 3D printing you will want 3D modeling software. AutoCAD is a 2D drafting program and would not be appropriate for creating models for 3D printing. My experience is with SolidWorks and PTC Creo. However, I think any of the 3D modelers that Autodesk offers would serve you well.

I would recommend something that installs locally and lets you easily store files on your own machine. In addition, make sure it can produce .STL files for the 3D printing software.

Last edited:
Inventor isn’t bad, can crash on (large)models, so take notes on key dimensions that may not be obvious or easy to remember, since you may find it necessary to rebuild models. I say this because often when developing a model it is done in unorthodox ways, adding here and there, and when you are all done, it can more simply be recreated using far less sketches.
Very easy to get into, and get started though, lots of online tips and tutorials, should be fun!

And be sure and note that the output is default in millimeters, can be frustrating to get a very tiny model...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.