Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

The idiot tries to drop voltage...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2018, 02:08 PM   #21
Jim Leach is offline Jim Leach  United States
diyAudio Member

I think we are sorted now.

It seems to have been a combination of the high voltage from the street coupled with the meter not able to measure the resistors properly. Under load, they seem to be doing their job properly.

Today we will do a full test, so the contactors will come into play. I will fine tune it from there and we should be all set.

Thanks again to those who offered constructive help.
Old 14th May 2018, 02:17 PM   #22
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

thanks for the update, lets hope its all sorted now.
Old 14th May 2018, 05:59 PM   #23
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

One resistor per coil?
Old 14th May 2018, 09:00 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

One resistor for the control system, including the coils.

All is working as it should- with both coils pulled in, I am seeing 484VAC. I wil check it again in the morning, after stuff has "burned in".

I am not seeing a significantr rise on tank one yet... Might be a thermocouple wire problem. I'll check the temp again in a few minutes and again tomorrow.

Timer shuts it down about now (5:00PM) and it will turn on again 6:00AM tomorrow.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Confirmed today, after running all night- 481 volts with both coils pulled in and all controls operating.

Oh, and I didn't die either.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:42 PM   #26
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a good result
Old 25th May 2018, 04:11 AM   #27
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Trying to drop AC voltage to an inductive load with a resistor requires a quite different resistor value than dropping to a resistive load. The voltage drops across R And L (coil is mostly L) add at right angles to one another. I would probably try to find a big 100 watt dog-bone style resistor on the surplus market - relying on a 5 or even 20 watter being run close to ratings is asking for trouble in the long term.

A transformer is a far better solution. One rated properly for the task, however is usually stupid expensive. Could be a couple hundred for a 50 VA unit - certifications are expensive. That being said I did replace the control transformer in my old AC with a cheap toroid from MCM once. It was the only thing I had on hand with a 240v primary. The whole unit got replaced less than a year later. I wouldn't do it as a long term solution - but it got it running that night. You would need a tube plate supply transformer (500 - ish volts is common) - or the proper control transformer. If you do something like this, put the trafos in its own UL rated enclosure and wire it to code.

The idiot tries to drop voltage...Hide this!Advertise here!