Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Music Reproduction Systems - what are we trying to achieve?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 09:52 AM   #221
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think it is safe to say that something called 'Kaboom' is not designed for high quality.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:53 AM   #222
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

@armarra1 - do not click on the reply button when responding to a post if it's the last one in the thread, simply use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the screen.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:23 AM   #223
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Surely there have been some objective tests that have proved the efficacy of the BBE system?
Old 13th March 2018, 10:47 AM   #224
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The most objective test you are likely to find will be BYRTT's above. The loudness feature might be useful, but there are simpler and better ways of doing it
Old 13th March 2018, 11:39 AM   #225
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarra1
DF96 Ill agree that the way its expressed it assumes a lot of knowledge and can therefore appear as technobabble.
On the contrary, it assumes a lot of ignorance and is written to impress such people. It does not appear to be technobabble; it is technobabble. The only question is whether the author actually believes it himself; is he foolish or dishonest?

Quote:
For example... i started off with the effect impedance has on current flow.
I am pleased to hear that you have some understanding of impedance.

Quote:
I satisfied myself its plausible by looking again at the impedance of a speaker and what impedance does to current flow.
I spoke too soon. You don't understand impedance.

Quote:
At its heart though I think the idea that the idea of a loudspeaker delivering sounds that are delayed by different amounts according to their frequency has plausibility...would you agree ?
Only if the radiating 'centre' of the speaker is displaced. If so, this would normally be corrected to some extent in the crossover network; it certainly cannot be corrected generically by some external effects box. Therefore their claim lacks plausibility; in fact it is worse than that, it possesses a ring of untruth.

Quote:
It is the impedance of the speaker that varies with frequency. .. can you follow the implications of that wrt delay of electrocal signal at the voice coil.
We can. We suspect you cannot.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:47 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarra1
So it 'effects' the sound but apparently it does so without any concern for restoring realism. In that same vein you could say stereo and dolby affect the sound. Both dolby and bbe are compensating for inadequacies in the recording and playback process.
Please stop putting stereo and Dolby in the same sentence as BBE. You are merely exhibiting ignorance, which by now is beginning to look like wilful ignorance. If you want to learn then this thread has patiently given you lots of useful information, but I fear that you may prefer to stay as you are.

Quote:
What you can say... is that the descriptions are all very positive. Whether they are high fidelity or not cannot be conveyed very well in words now can it.
Those description might seem positive to someone who is not interested in high quality sound reproduction, but prefers to be impressed and impress his friends. That is, the typical consumer of modern audio.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:33 PM   #227
armarra1 is offline armarra1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Please stop putting stereo and Dolby in the same sentence as BBE. <snip>
All three of these are at their heart trying to achieve a more realistic sound arent they. Can we agree on that.

Dolby and BBE are both aiming to compensate for inadequacies in the record and playback systems..this much is true in concept.

Now..Dolby isn't perfect. Neither is BBE but both have the same aim in mind. Whether you agree that they acieve that aim is up to you.

I understand that for some reason its not popular here but if we are interested in true HiFi then why are flawed systems like dolby which arbitrarily lifts 'certain' frequencies on record mode accepted, yet BBE which also picks certain parameters to work with is not accepted.

In fact each is flawed (imperfect). So why accept the flaws in one and not the other.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:46 PM   #228
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You really should quit now. You'll hit bedrock if you keep digging!
Old 13th March 2018, 09:23 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

It is clear that armarra1 is not listening. I therefore see no point in repeating myself.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:43 PM   #230
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarra1 View Post
All three of these are at their heart trying to achieve a more realistic sound arent they. Can we agree on that.

Dolby and BBE are both aiming to compensate for inadequacies in the record and playback systems..this much is true in concept.

Now..Dolby isn't perfect. Neither is BBE but both have the same aim in mind. Whether you agree that they acieve that aim is up to you.

I understand that for some reason its not popular here but if we are interested in true HiFi then why are flawed systems like dolby which arbitrarily lifts 'certain' frequencies on record mode accepted, yet BBE which also picks certain parameters to work with is not accepted.

In fact each is flawed (imperfect). So why accept the flaws in one and not the other.
Compensate for inadequacies Dolby is a Noise Reduction feature that if turned on under recording process to tape will encode its filter pattern and when replayed needs the inverse decode turned on else sound is not right, this is totally different than BBE because industry of the world have adopted Dolby as a standard because it proved its worth, its precise because encode pattern is known then decode is simply the inverse and also in its hardware is some integrated circuits stamped with a Dolby laboratory logo its possible get device within good specs and drift.

BBE is not adopted in industry as a standard and its decode is not a reverse mirror of a known error, BBE is at its best shooting for a "kind of mirror curve" and therefor we are some that call it effects process, can't know exactly if it acts like the simulation in post 207 but if it does i call it a sommerhat and business more than a serious filter to improve waveshape.

Music Reproduction Systems - what are we trying to achieve?Hide this!Advertise here!