48 Hours to save Maplin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw this coming years ago. I’m surprised they lasted this long. Poor stock control, very high prices; not just electronic components but PC parts too.
I used them from the beginning and I visited their Southsea shop when it was their only shop (if memory serves).

It's a shame. I wouldn't normally buy components from them because they have a limited range and high prices, but it's handy when you're out of some common part like a particular value of resistor and don't want to wait for delivery or the order wouldn't meet the minimum value for free postage. But with RS, Farnell and Mouser having essentially anything you could want, cheap, and with quick and cheap delivery (often free if you're ordering any quantity) I can't honestly see a reason for Maplin to survive. Still, hopefully there will be a few decent deals when it comes to picking over the bones.

It will be a shame to see them go, but hardly surprising. I'm not sure I could really pinpoint their target market in recent years.

I had a Saturday job in their Stockport store when it first opened back in 1993, even then stock levels of components were poor, so that isn't a recent thing. It was frustrating to see customers turn up with their list of components and then their anticipation turn to dismay when they heard that we were short of an important part for their project.

I first noticed things starting to change when the catalogue started being printed in colour and they started selling things like solar powered plant turners and cheap, nasty shed alarms that you could disarm using your thumbnail to turn the lock rather than the supplied key.

I'll be sorry for the staff if they close, but as a viable business they lost the plot years ago IMHO.

There were closing down banners in my local Maplin yesterday.
Today when I went in there is 20% off sale on.

A report I read said they expected to get a buyer pretty soon.
Seems odd the stores are being closed down then.

The online web shop is still open for business.

I can see why Maplin is struggling. I have seen me go in and not a customer in sight and 5 staff on !
The building is pretty big so rent and running costs must be massive.
Then we have the Maplin extortionate prices for gear.
I went in for a HDMI lead and it was £12. Got two on ebay for £3 !

I sort of grew up in electronics with Maplin, did loads of their projects.
I built a mobile disco using their kits and they worked well.
Component prices weren't too bad in those days but some are silly prices now as they move away from electronic components.
For me Maplin were handy if I was stuck waiting for a component or two.
So I wasn't spending vast amounts with them.
Often the shop would only have two of each component in stock so if I wanted 20 I would have to buy online. And then most times RS or Farnell would beat their prices by miles.

It will be sad to see them go. There was always a good excuse to have a wander around Maplin to see what they were selling.

True. They seem to have responded to falling sales by increasing prices and staff levels and dumbing-down their product offering. Their website has always been quite clunky too. Makes you wonder who made these business decisions and what they were expecting to happen as a result?

But they were doomed. Like others: PC World and Curry’s had to merge to stay afloat. Probably due to the huge availability of electronics from online retailers and eBay and low cost overnight delivery. Also Maplin’s total failure to satisfy the booming mobile phone and computer gaming markets. Customers don’t need stores so much now nor staff handholding.

I will find it annoying not to be able to pop out for a resistor that I accidentally omitted from my Farnell order. But that’s the only time I go to Maplin and that probably says it all.

In Aus we still have Jaycar which has an ok selection of parts and materials but mostly a 'toy' shop, and Altronics who have a much better (enviable) range and selection of components and materials, catering for the DIY market and are also major players in industry supply.
Dick Smith like Tandy turned into another 'toy' shop with scarcely any componentry, and has suffered demise much the same as Maplin.
I have a Jaycar store about 1km from work, and another store 1km or so from home, quite handy for the simple things...

Dan.

I used to work in the Croydon branch of Maplin as a young lad, almost 20 years ago now :eek:

Even back then, the market was always stronger for the 'toys'. The biggest markups were always on home entertainment and the 'DJ' equipment. The biggest ticketed items and profits were always the kind of things you see down your local 'crime converters'.. Laser Lights, DJ Decks, Remote control cars etc.

Once we were selling a (pretty crappy really) 5.1 surround sound system at a 9900% markup. And we sold hundreds of them. Not so much profit to be had in 10p resistors..

Nowadays, unfortunately for them, when you can walk into a shop and do a quick google for the average price of an item, overcharging people for junk isn't really as easy anymore.

TBH the interest in components was never very strong and became less so as the likes of RS and Farnell became more accessible. Ebay mopped up the rest with a ready supply of cheap factory direct / wholesaler components leaving only the dwindling 'toy' market.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.