The electronic notebook

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all,

I was looking at this: reMarkable | The paper tablet . I am always swamped by loose sheets with schematics, PCB layouts, annotated prototype drawings, that kind of stuff.

I thought, if I get one of these, I can download the drawings and schematics for use at the test bench, annotate them and make notes, quick hand drawn diagrams and circuits, random notes on a schematic, that sort of thing. And still all saved in digital form.
There's a Youtube a bit down on the home page.

Thoughts? Anyone here has one of these?

Jan

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, if it works as promised it could be very useful.

It is a dedicated black & white tablet. Having a non-emissive display that relies on ambient light certainly has big pluses… i reminds me of my 1st PowerBook 170 which had an active TFT screen which is also a non-emissive display. I believe the b&w Amazon e-readers use the same tech.

They allude to a new tech used instead of LCD, which from the tiny snippet would be even more analog than a Retina display.

I expect an iPad Pro with Pencil (and the right Ap(s)) would give the same flexibility in terms of functionality… more useful in dark conditions, with colour and not single purpose (that could be a plus or a minus), not as good on the beach. I expect iPad slightly thicker & heavier as well.

A question i have is whether everything is stored as a bitmap, or whether some conversion to vectors or text happens.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The one issue I dislike with these solutions is that you cannot easily look at two pages side by side, like a schematic and a PCB layout or a schematic and some calculations. As you say, a matter of scaling, but I am sure that will scale the price super-linear!

The way I often work (but YMMV) is with an image on the screen and a scrap of paper scribbling numbers or parts or whatever. It would be nice to have all that at the same place stored when you are done. I never can find my scraps of paper when I need them :confused:

Jan

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.