Windows 10 upgrade question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a laptop with Windows 7. I can order the Windows 10 key for cheap but it
requires downloading the Win 10 OS through MS.

Ideally, if I had the actual CD, I could could a hard drive format and clean install.

So if I do upgrade from Windows 7, there still could be virus and other unknown stuff on the drive?

I was thinking of swapping to a SSD drive as well, still would need an actual Win OS CD?

Thanks for your help

I Believe the free eligible upgrade time has passed.. You can try the Gatherosstate route in order to activate Windows 10.
You don't need to buy a licence unless You want to upgrade to a higher version. Laptops usually come with Win7 Home or Homepremium.
If You have 7 Homepremium You are eligible to upgrade to Win10 Standard.
If You have Ultimate You can upgrade to WIN10 Pro, unless You use a loader to crack it.
(Sorry I will not go on details here Just Google..)
Install Your new SSD.
Install windows 7 fresh from Your backup recovery images. Backup important 7 stuff first as You will wipe Your HDD.
You can also use Your old HDD Windows Installation, depends on the version You want afterwards..legit or upgraded cracked.
Now Follow theses instructions to create the file You will need later for activating Win10 and save it elsewhere.
Directly clean install Windows 10 without upgrading first
Get the Win10 ISO image and make the Boot disk or Pen. Get the 64 Bit version, unless You have a cheap 32 bit only processor.
If You install the 32 Bit version and upgrade Your RAM later, You'll need to reformat and install the 64 bit version or Your usable RAM will be capped at 3Gb.
Now Install Win10, but make sure if You downloaded a Win10 disk with both versions You are prompted for the version to install. If Not You need to edit or create the file EI.CFG on the win10 Installation Sources folder.
[Fix] Can't Select Windows 10 Pro Edition During Clean Installation - AskVG
Now copy the saved file to Your new Win10 Installation as per instructions above and hope You'll get all the drivers and hotkey buttons functioning.
Try to connect to a network and see if You get activated. After some time, Your drivers schould be downloaded and installed automatically. Check device manager.There are some ACPI / ATK drivers and button utilities that You need to install manually sometimes and the Win7 ones usually work.
The crucial ones are the Graphic and Sound drivers, or You will be stuck at 1024*768 generic resolution.
For example I have a VAIO AW laptop and I had always to mod the graphic drivers inf files and disable signature check in order to force them to install, but last week I've upgraded the prpcessor and RAM and M$ installed them for me automatically.
I would google for "Your model & win10 upgrade" in order to find if it is possible to upgrade and get all things working.

Hi

I have a laptop with Windows 7. I can order the Windows 10 key for cheap but it
requires downloading the Win 10 OS through MS.

Plenty of stories on the web of such keys failing. YMMV.

Ideally, if I had the actual CD, I could could a hard drive format and clean install.

I'd only trust a MS official download. You can use the download tool and create a bootable USB stick. Download Windows 10

So if I do upgrade from Windows 7, there still could be virus and other unknown stuff on the drive?

Not an issue if you're moving to ssd.

I was thinking of swapping to a SSD drive as well, still would need an actual Win OS CD?

See above...

I'd also look at a backup/cloning tool such as Macrium... Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Also, any issues with registration can always be resolved with a phone call (need license key from Win7) as was pointed out.

cheers

For retrieving the key, just tested.
KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

For cloning I've used Macrium software in the past and worked well. You can also use M$ Dism own command utility for it. Create image commands and then apply image commands
You only need the Win Pro version if You intend use things oriented for company networks.
Compare Windows 10 Editions & Versions | Home & Pro

And Yes, You can activate both Standard and Pro on the same machine and then choose which one You want at installation time. Legit or Cracked.
Follow the rules from my last post for Standard. Activate.
Install Pro version. Activate.
Now, just install the version You want again. After the first internet connection, it will be activated.

After the first 7->10 upgrade activation and on subsequent 10 installs it will retrieve the key or activation status from M$ servers, and You don't need cracks or loaders anymore.
Please bear in mind if the laptop has a BIOS key, You need that Ei.CFG file, without it it will install the version that matches that key.
You can make also these tests on Your older drive before the SSD arrives, Just swapping the HDD doesn't affect activation. It is a good mean of determining / testing if You can find all the drivers and utilities needed. BACKUP IMPORTANT THINGS FIRST !!
IF You must stick with 7 because of lack of drivers, check if automatic defragmenting of drives is disabled. Should be disabled after install.

Last edited:
Globalplayer

I understand Your point of view about the EULA, but let me explain mine.

I wanted just to highlight he doesn't need to buy a key as his system is eligible for the free upgrade. If he wants to Pirate it's up to him to decide.

I'm sure You never downloaded an mp3 track or a movie from the internet, nor did You copy Cassette tapes from Your friends in the Eighties (well...I don't know Your age). Borrowing a CD from a friend or listening radio is also sort of piracy as You aren't paying the author for listening to the music...

I do not condemn software piracy if it is beeing used at home and for non-profit use.
I do condemn software piracy if someone is going to earn money with it, like running a company, doing parties, Photography and so on.

Let me ask a You a question:

How do You think people know and people want to use someone's software ?
It's because it was pirated and they have tested it and liked...otherwise they wouldn't know it even exists, and the software company would go bankrupt.

Just look at those dongle protected software. Who Knows it, Who uses it ?
The only that I know are usually used in CAD and Industrial companies, and only run on that particular multidollar machine. What's the point of protecting it ?

By the way, Microsoft is hard trying to offer W10 because it wants to beat Apple and the spying and telemetric features built in are handy for the CIA in order to track Terrorists....

For example here in Portugal, Suppose I'm a DJ, I buy music from Traxsource, Beatport or Apple Music etc, but ... but I can't use it in my sets. I can use it only in my personal mp3 player or phone for my personal listening.
My Multidollar HDD DJ Console / Player / computer becomes useless. I'm stuck with CD's and Vinyls...

I have a friend who is a DJ / music producer, released some of it's work on CDs and the royalties he received from the music company were a mere 75€ for some ...2000 CDs sold... 3 €Cents per CD. But the company earned 40000€ (20€/CD)

How do You think people know and people want to use someone's software ?

People hopefully inform themselves about software before using it.
As for me I only run free open-source software and I know why.
Since modern CPUs, etc. are "backdoored" anyway this is likely futile but I do what I can.

Windows 10 is like a cellphone.
You pay money... for them tracking your every move and stealing any intellectual property they find on your devices.
You happily pay for your own surveillance.

Last edited:
Who's them? Who's watching us? you would think they don't care about one simple movie illegally downloaded , but they do, the cable company will notice you that they are aware of what's happening and if you don't stop they will suspend the service and will report you. That's a fact! Another fact is that in other countries you could find laptops (brand new )for sale without operation systems..... yeah !?! how many people are using Linux/ubuntu? Some... the other ones use cracked versions of windows.... never heard someone getting in trouble for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.