S-Video to big TV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I would like to spend a maximum of $15-$20 to try to connect my old SD satellite receiver to my 60" plasma and try to get the best picture possible. It has composite and s-video output only.

As for the "stop just there and buy a used HD satellite receiver" comments, just bear with me, it's not that easy, and since I already have 4 SD receivers, I will always have at least 1 hooked up to a modern TV for years to come.

I believe s-video will give the best picture out of the receiver, better than composite. There are various inexpensive boxes I can try to convert from s-video to an input on the TV.

This one does s-video to VGA, about $CDN14:
1 Video S Video zu VGA Konverter AV Kabel Wandler Adapter fur Monitor Kamera ~~ | eBay

This one does s-video to HDMI, about $CDN20:
1080P AV S-Video To HDMI Audio Converter With USB Cable For HDTV DVD J1O6 X H4Q8 | eBay

This one is SCART to HDMI, about $CDN13:
SCART to HDMI Digital Video Audio Upscale Converter Adapter 1080P HD TV | eBay

The SCART to HDMI looks most attractive on paper, but wondering if there might be some hidden issues such as it doesn't support the s-video portion of the SCART standard, or doesn't handle NTSC well, etc.

For the s-video to HDMI adapter, since it looks cheap compared to its competitors, I would be worried that it simply did not work as advertised.

Any input appreciated, whether based on experience, or just general knowledge of video technology.

This is the back of the TV:

Attachments

• back of lg 60.jpg
    back of lg 60.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 52
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
S-Video is only better than composite if the comb filter in the receiver isn't great. Most aren't great. Since the SD satellite signal is probably composite anyway (over the air was) it's going to depend on where the better filter is, the satellite box or the TV. And if your TV has no analog inputs then you are at the mercy of cheap convertors. Your TV has no analog inputs at all?
EDIT: Just saw the pic.

S-Video is only better than composite if the comb filter in the receiver isn't great. Most aren't great. Since the SD satellite signal is probably composite anyway (over the air was) it's going to depend on where the better filter is, the satellite box or the TV. And if your TV has no analog inputs then you are at the mercy of cheap convertors. Your TV has no analog inputs at all?

Both composite and component analog inputs as in picture.

I just tried composite today. Looks mediocre with noticeable pixelation.

I am thinking the s-video to VGA is the safest of the cheap converters. I see the SCART-to-HDMI and s-video-to-HDMI boxes as being higher risk. I am not finding any inexpensive s-video-to-component boxes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.