Possible to hack A/V receiver sound field settings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a project coming up that has a budget of $0 and I need an amp. Long story.

I have a Sony STR-DE625 A/V receiver collecting dust. It is 100x2 stereo, 100x5 surround. I'm powering four cabinets and if I put them on A+B outputs, my guess is that I'll be splitting 100x2 among the 4 cabinets.

Cabinets are Peavey SP-3G 18" PA speakers times 4. 8ohm and rated 300wrms. They need a bit more than 50w each. I think 100w each will do the trick... barely.

How would you do it... run 2 of them parallel on each channel to get 4 ohm and draw a little more output from the receiver. Will the receiver even be happy at 4 ohms?

Or is there a way to hack the sound field settings and be able to use the other 100-watt channels without a sound field. In effect, turn it into a 5 channel amp without the FX?

Won't matter much. The 100x5 is a fallacy. The power you can get out of it is limited by the power supply. All the amp channels share the same power supply. Since you have the amp, I would hook up all 4 binding posts for Front A and B (if you can you play A + B together). The amp will see a 4 ohm load. Keep the switch on the back of the receiver on 8 ohms (setting to 4 ohms will limit power from the amplifier). Receivers have protection circuits which shutdown the amp if it draws too much current. Give it a try.

You can use 4 channels of amp by using the 5.1 inputs. Left source to LF and LR and the same for the right source. Only need 2 Y cables and turn off all processing and use Direct mode if the amp has it.

This way you use 4 power amps instead of trying to have low impedance loads on the 2 channel power amps. Most HT amps do not like 4R loads.

Two worries! First, is a suggestion above to parallel two or more outputs to drive on speaker? Usually that is not recommended is it? And for just running two speakers per output, more normal, but a valid question if the amp will drive a 4 ohm load. My budget Sherwood doesn't want under 6 ohms.

I don't think the amp has 5.1 inputs. If it did that would be a better choice.

All AV amps can drive a 4 ohm load up to a point. At low levels there shouldn't be an issue. At high levels there will most likely be an issue. The amp has A and B front inputs which both can be on at the same time. I have done it many times on my Marantz AVR and Yamaha integrated amp without any issues.

Hello.
I have a Sony STR-DE625 A/V receiver collecting dust. It is 100x2 stereo, 100x5 surround. I'm powering four cabinets and if I put them on A+B outputs, my guess is that I'll be splitting 100x2 among the 4 cabinets.

Cabinets are Peavey SP-3G 18" PA speakers times 4. 8ohm and rated 300wrms. They need a bit more than 50w each. I think 100w each will do the trick... barely.

How would you do it... run 2 of them parallel on each channel to get 4 ohm and draw a little more output from the receiver. Will the receiver even be happy at 4 ohms?

Or is there a way to hack the sound field settings and be able to use the other 100-watt channels without a sound field. In effect, turn it into a 5 channel amp without the FX?

No problem if you don't need to sound a stadium.
Your Peavey have 100dB/watt.
Your amplifier have 5.1 input, so can be used as power amplifier (but volume knob is active) .
Just plug any cabinet to Front and Rear output, disable sound effect, thats all.

Attachments

• Sony_de625.jpg
    Sony_de625.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
He has the STR-DE625 which didn't appear to have the 5.1 inputs when I looked online. I checked the dimensions diagram on Sony's website which doesn't have 5.1 inputs shown, but they have a photocopied manual which shows the 5.1 inputs. I agree that if they are there it is best to use the 5.1 inputs.

Last edited:
I just checked. My sony does have the 5.1 inputs.

The project is to make magic happen with duct tape. I'm a TD for a theater and we're doing a musical in our black box which is 50x60' and 26' barrel ceiling. So the space isn't huge. The four SP-3G speakers are ridiculous overkill for this space. I could easily get by with four 10" two-way cabinets and a small sub, but the budget is next to nothing so I'm using what I have.

I'm only amplifying 6 vocal mics and a keyboard (there is percussion and electric guitar, but the percussion doesn't need help and the guitar will have its own amp). So for this production, I think the Sony should get me through. I have written a grant to buy "real" audio stuff but I won't know until about March if it gets awarded. Once I get the funds I will likely liquidate the inappropriate stuff and start from scratch; Crown amps, buy four good 10" or 12" cabinets and fab up an 18" sub.

So I think I'll grab some of these (or make some)

61u%2BYyA1JXL._SX425_.jpg

Then it will be as easy as using the 16x4 snake to get signal backstage. I plan on hooking it all up and abusing it as my shop radio for a while to make sure it doesn't trip into thermal safety or anything. I can't have it giving up on me halfway through the performances. If it can stand 8 hours a day of the classic rock station, it can handle a couple hours of vocal mics.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.