Improvising LED TV backlight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a 40-inch Soniq Smart TV model#E40S12A with a failed backlight ribbon. I've emailed the manufacturer for replacements only to be told the TV is out of production and so are the replacement LED strips! I've checked ebay with no luck so I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the actual failed LED in the LED strip or cut one down to fit or whatever? This is an excellent TV and it would be a shame to bin it because of something as simple as a failed LED. I've searched around but can't find anyone who has tackled this problem yet! Help!!!!:D

Last edited:
You need to be brave, take it to pieces & have a look what's in there.
There are fixes on the web but not for your specific make/model & usually involving much smaller PC monitors.
Seems you have nothing to lose & potentially much to gain by having a go.

I have no experience but read a lot on a local repair forum. First you have to decide if it is the LED stripe or the driver is faulty. The driver generates some 60 volts DC and constant current. It is go or fail. There are 2 or 4 LED stripes. Usually one LED in the row fails, this causes open circuit. You can buy a replacement from Chinese shops or eBay, go for 120 LEDs per meter, cold white. It is marked where can you cut (every 3 LEDs). The width must be matched with the original.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.