Victoria mini DIY-fest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On the occasiona of Doorman coming down island for a visit we had a mini DIY-fest yesterday. I'll post pictures, comments i'll add later.

dave

Attachments

• before-coffee.jpg
    before-coffee.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 722
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
other kit included Jolida PP EL34, (triode wired, no feedback), Jolida CD, heavily modded Rega III/RB250, Foreplay, DIY RCA phono, George Wright phono (something wasn't quite right with the George Wright linestage).

And when Don asked about Totem beaks we came up with this:

dave

Attachments

• beaks.jpg
    beaks.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 632
This is so not fair.. i so wanted to be there at Chris's house to listen to these Thing's. How did yours turn out dave..

I like the " up 1'st one's those look really nice.. Wonder what the drivers are and the x-overs and overall cost was.. those look really good.. how do you bend MDF like that to make it nice curve.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
This is so not fair.. i so wanted to be there at Chris's house to listen to these Thing's. How did yours turn out dave..

A bit of a walk from nanaimo, besides you were working :)

I like the " up 1'st one's those look really nice.. Wonder what the drivers are and the x-overs and overall cost was.. those look really good.. how do you bend MDF like that to make it nice curve.

The Peerless with the HiVi tweeter were the poorest sounding of the lot by a fair margin...they need XO work to say the least. The rest of the lot you could live with.

The P13 dalines, were smooth, with decent imaging, but didn't have the dynamics & coherency of the full-ranges.

The JBYs (Junk-Blue & Yellow) were quite good, not as flat FR-wise as the Vifas, but better imaging & more alive -- not very efficient thou, and then knocked down another 3 dB by the BSC cicuit. When you factor in the <$20 USD total cost they were stunning -- cabinets, glue, drivers, et al.

The BD-Pipes didn't go as low, but were flatter, more extended at the top (thimble alnico tweeter coming in above 10k), and smoother thruout the midrange -- a good 6dB more sensitive, the Zen really liked them.

The Buschorns are dynamic, have killer midrange, and more bass than you'd expect out of a 4".

The Horns had much the same character with less bass as you'd expect from the smaller horn. Compared to the midrange (female vocals in particular) they were a little more "closer in" sounding -- something the FE103As did before the dustcapectomy and the phase plug -- i'd love to have a pr of FE108s to do surgery on. It would be very interesting to hear an FE103A with the benefits of the 40 years of develpment that the FE108 has on it.

The Hornlines are a horn-loaded Vifa P17 that is intended to give the bottom end of the horns a bit more weight... that it does, but we couldn't quite get it to integrate. The general opinion was that the $100-150 plate amp it comes with is just not good enuff.

Up last were the Visatons -- sonically, except possibly for the size of the sweet spot, these were clearly better than what preceeded them. I hear comments about these not doing bass -- just not true. And they supposedly have a titled up frequency response -- not evident. In the open baffles these are quite stunning, extended at both ends, no glaring peaks or holes.

The big open baffles are hard to live with thou... Visaton has recommended enclosures of as small as 50 litres which might make them more managable...

The Visatons need a good home... sigh

dave

Victoria mini diy fest!

Mnay thanks to Dave, Chris and Frank for hosting/organizing such an event. For my part, beginner diy'er , Much food for thought. Mostly the listening experience with this diy equipment was/is out of all proportion to the cost of same, talk about a parallel universe! Didn't hear anything I didn't like, just that some pieces were clearly outstanding, like the Jolida/Visaton open baffles! Wow- a killer combo. Audio "outside the box"! Thanks again guys-btw, don't think the beaks helped, maybe I was just getting tired! Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.