Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

milk on PCB
milk on PCB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 10:04 PM   #1
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

milk on PCB
Default milk on PCB

Any ideas how to remove encrusted milk off small SMD components? My darling 17 year old managed to pour a glass onto her laptop which oozed through the keyboard onto the motherboard. Hit around the power management circuits. So by the time I got hold of it had set into nice furry deposits on tiny SMD components. I don't have a dishwasher which I know is the usual in this case and my handy spray can of flux remover isn't even making a dent so wondering what is next up the chart I can try? I know I have less than a 50% change of getting this thing back to life but have to try
Old 7th December 2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

my thought - 70% IPA and a cotton swab.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

milk on PCB
Might work. Need to find a local source. I would use baby wipes but worried on the pull load on the teeny passives. Thank goodness no BGA in the affected area.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:38 PM   #4
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

milk on PCB
IPA Isopropanol ALCOHOL Industrial PureChem 99.9% (1L): Amazon.co.uk: Office Products
Old 7th December 2017, 10:51 PM   #5
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can usually buy isopropyl alcohol (IPA) at the pharmacy. Beware that rubbing alcohol is a low concentration of IPA and is not as useful for cleaning electronics. You'll need the highest concentration you can get.

At an electronics store, you can usually find horse hair brushes intended for flux cleaning. I'd get one of those and a can of flux cleaner.

Clean the PCB with IPA first. Then flux cleaner. Then wash with IPA.

If you don't have a horse hair brush, a toothbrush can work. Just beware that many flux cleaners contain acetone which will very likely dissolve the bristles on the toothbrush and make an even bigger mess.

Tom
Old 7th December 2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Milk solids are water soluble and not solvent soluble.
brushes.jpg
Use an artists brush like those above (bristles cut square and shorter) and scrub the affected area, quickly dry the brush in cloth or tissue, and then use the brush to draw up the liquid in strips/stripes.
Do this process twice or more to remove all traces of organics/solids.

Repeat the above process with Isopropyl, and then 'cook' with a hair dryer to evaporate all solvent remnants.

Close inspection may reveal solder joints that are already electrolysis/deeply corroded.
Apply liquid flux and resolder these joints and then IPA clean and reinspect closely.

This has been my standard coffee/beer/whiskey/cola/milk/water damage repair method since forever, works for me.

Dan.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:00 PM   #7
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Espresso Steam

I have had success loading distilled water into an espresso maker and blasting a PCB with the steam wand. Cleaning a PCB with alcohol can sometimes just smear certain types of solder flux around on the board and not remove it, spreading slightly conductive gunk everywhere. Board manufacturers usually clean with de-ionized water wash, so emulating that is usually your best bet.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

milk on PCB
A few good ideas to try, thanks.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:39 AM   #9
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have found that warm water flowing on the board removes many things. Even a little bit of dish soap in water. A little soft brush action is a good idea too.

Alcohol absorbs water into itself readily, and in biology labs and such places, they even use it as a drying agent after water washing glassware. And in some places, ether after alcohol.

Isoprop alcohol from the pharmacy usually comes in strong - like 95% - and dilute. I only buy the strong, since I can always dilute it if need be. But either should work here. And they are real cheap. NO need for reagent grade or lab quality stuff, we are just cleaning with it. Very useful around the shop.
Old 10th December 2017, 07:59 PM   #10
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
It is said (at least over here i Valhalla-land) that equal solves equal. Meaning where the solvent is wwater, use water. Is the solvent oil, use oil.
Someone already said water, so use water.

milk on PCBHide this!Advertise here!