thermal conductivity of duck tape/duct tape?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats the thermal conductivity of duct tape or duck tape?

Just want to know. thats all.
Cant find any info on google search. Not giving any helpful information. just redirects to related "copper tape" which is not what I want!
I want specifically the thermal conductivity of duct tape/duck tape!
because I had some attached to a heatsink with it hanging off the end. and the heatsink was hot. and the end of the duck tape was also hot where it was dangling about an inch off the heat sink in open air!
it wasn't hot enough to melt the duck tape. just pretty warm.

Indeed, the most commonly used duct tapes are plastic / fabric based, and it's hard to imagine are engineered with any thermal conductivity target in mind. Some are metalized, and perhaps for those the specific manufacturer's Product Information / MSDS sheets would contain that info?

Why not just measure it? Not rocket science.

Take a Berg insulating pad for a TO-220 device with known thermal conductivity and a Dale 30Watt resistor (they chassis mount). Attach to small heat sink, run a few watts through it and observe the temperature rise with time. Cut a piece of duct tape the same size as the Berg insulating pad and do the same experiment. Chart the temperature change of both over time.

The Dale chassis mount resistors will only handle a few watts if not heat-sinked.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.