Cpt's Killer Interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I found a REAL 'giant killer' of an IC, and it really didn't cost me all that much. Here's what I used...

2 - Serail ATA Cables. (18" or longer…just search Goole for ‘Serial ATA’)
4 - WBT-0108 RCA Connectors
5ft of whatever wire loom you want to cover it in to make it look professional...

Now there are two different types of Serial ATA cable. There is 4-pin and 7-pin. I've tried both, and had the exact same results both times. The 7-pin is a little more substantial, and has seperation that may allow for a more robust sound long-term. I've only got about 100hrs on either of mine right now, so it's kinda soon to tell. (I like the 4-pin best so far.)

The great thing about Serial-ATA cable is that it is shielded out the wazoo. I believer there is an ISO standard for it, so I'm not sure if there is a brand that'll really sound better than another. I've done about 6 pair so far, and used a different manufacturer each time with no audible difference in sound.

If you strip 1” off of the end, you’ll see that there are two center wires, covered with a Teflon coating, and two bare wires at the ends that are bare. All 4 are ‘flat’ and covered with a foil shielding.

I simply used the 2 bare wires as the ground, and the two internal wires as the signal. I cut the shielding back with the outside shieth and cranked them into the connectors. I like using the WBT-0108 because I don’t need a soldering iron, and can experiment without wasting, or junking up a set of expensive connectors.

Here is what I’ve stacked them up against…

ZuCable Varial – Mine sound almost identical. (SLIGHT edge to the Varial)
Nordost Quattro Fil – Mine had a little deeper soundstage
Cardas Hexlinc Golden 5C – Mine sounded ‘darker’, not as bright.
Tara-Labs The One – Mine were REAL close. Maybe a little brighter.

My gear is as follows…

Pass-Labs X1 Preamp
Wadia 850 CD Player (GNSC Reference Mod)
Conrad Johnson MV-50 amp
ProAc Tablette 2000s Speakers

With less expensive connectors, these will cost you about $25 to build a pair…I’m going to try it as a digital at a friends house…I’ll let you know how that goes too.

Enjoy!

Seems like not much people want to give this one a try, so I did.
Went to the local PC shop and bought a serial ATA cable (90cm) for 6,50 €. From my local electronics supplier I got the Neutrik "PROFI" RCA connectors at 20 € a pair. After 15 minutes of stripping and soldering the cable was finished.
Didn't had the chance to test it yet but as soon as I do I will report back.

Cheers

Walter

I tried some of the better USB cables that I ran across once. Wasn't impressed. I even let them burn in on my office system for a week.

I DID find a caviat with these though. You CAN NOT have them longer than about 1.5m. They get REAL thin sounding.

Thought I'd pass that one along to you all. Let me know what you think GeWa!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hmmmmmmm.........Serial ATA, huh??

Maybe you folks should try some of those PTFE insulated SCSI cables...
If you look hard enough you may even come across some silver ones as used for mission critical applications.
Be seated before you ask for a quote though.... :dead:

Cheers,;)

So far just a picture.
Could not evaluate it yet.
First I have to build my system back together.

Cheers

Attachments

• interlink 01.jpg
    interlink 01.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 315
Thanks CptTripps=)

I just made a couple of pairs using s-ata cable I had laying around.. 1st impressions are good.
I have only tried 'em for a few minutes so far at low volume but already they sound clearer, faster and more textured than the cheap homemade interconnects I was using.
Thanks again for a great idea Cpt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.