Negative feedback - right or wrong to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is a class D (PWM) amp even possible without feedback?
I designed and built one in about 1979! I was just a teenager with no formal electronics education but I made a PWM using a lateral MOSFET. It worked. It had no feedback. It did not sound so good but worked ok at low volumes. I thought I had invented something new until later on when I found out what a switch mode power supply was.

It is evident that Hypex thinks that an awful lot of NFB is required to make a good enough sound. Class D reduces power dissipation. That's where it excels.

I am finishing my current development about this....I achieved pure linear response without any negative feedback.Output power is 200W and i am finalizing this with 2x2000W amplifier design which i will make in next month or two.If i dont sell the design (project) i will offer to sell it to public and i will show a demo video of it.No matter whats written till now that doesnt mean that things cant be improved further.

I was handed a feedback form by a tutor, I told them that purely on principle I never fill them in because I only give negative feedback and from past experience they invariably take it the wrong way (because the questions refer to them) and ignore the fact that it is the only positive thing to do

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I am finishing my current development about this....I achieved pure linear response without any negative feedback.Output power is 200W and i am finalizing this with 2x2000W amplifier design which i will make in next month or two.If i dont sell the design (project) i will offer to sell it to public and i will show a demo video of it.No matter whats written till now that doesnt mean that things cant be improved further.

You've got negative feedback in there somewhere. I guarantee it.

Dave.

Davey can you put 100 000USD on that what you are sure about?....i will do same from my side.Who is right will take all.I know exactly what i said and whats the weight of my words and that what i said about my design is exactly what i did and how its done.Absolutely zero feedback is what i made and my amplifier doesnt work as power supply....as all amplifiers are made here.Sound is VERY different from anything i made and heard in past....in positive meaning of course + on clipping there is no clicking and sharp noise but exact same thing as in AB class.....soft distorsion.Also i made automatic DC offset canceling and my design is working on single supply.

Last edited:
Davey can you put 100 000USD on that what you are sure about?....i will do same from my side.Who is right will take all.I know exactly what i said and whats the weight of my words and that what i said about my design is exactly what i did and how its done.Absolutely zero feedback is what i made and my amplifier doesnt work as power supply....as all amplifiers are made here.Sound is VERY different from anything i made and heard in past....in positive meaning of course + on clipping there is no clicking and sharp noise but exact same thing as in AB class.....soft distorsion.Also i made automatic DC offset canceling and my design is working on single supply.
Hi Mikelandjelo (correctly: Michelangelo), all regulators use some form of negative feedback. An audio amplifier is a voltage regulator, that regulates the amount of the supply voltage appearing at the output according to the input signal voltage. Otherwise imagine that you change the supply voltage by +/-10%. Will the output voltage change also by +/-10%? It will not, because of regulation. Some call it PSRR, it is negative feedback.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Has anyone addressed whether it should be the responsibility of an amp to properly handle a complex load. I can't see that it should and I don't expect mine to do that.

Most users would not know a "complex load" if it urinated on their carpet.

It is the commercial designer's job to make an amp work good for 99+% of all buyers.

It isn't that hard if Product Functionality and Sustainable Business is part of the design brief. OTOH if the job is to pack maximum buzzwords into the lowest price (or highest profit), and the designer gets paid-off before the files go to production.....

If a load has "some" series resistance, it is not that hard to design for huge chunks of reactance hanging off of that. If the producer is reluctant to add $4 more power devices, $0.40 of BJTs+LEDs can implement shutdowns and error flags to save the amp and inform the user and support staff why the amp is unhappy (rather than dead).

OK, we can't cover "all" user conditions. If I rig my GAZ-5000 to modulate a 10KW AM transmitter, and omit all RF bypass "for extended highs", there's gonna be sparks.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Whoever decided that amps should cover the speakers, we should say thank you. Everyone would have cottoned on that it reduces linear distortion and most would be happy. But it's not the natural order of things. I notice speaker manufacturers sat back and said nothing.

When i am talking or singing i am amplifier of my voice produced in my throat and i am the source.Will my brain correct anything from what is received in my ears to make me to sound ALWAYS exactly THE SAME in any enviroment?This is how nature works and WE engineers decided that we know better than nature.Amplifier and sound thats comming from speakers is PERSONAL THING FOR EVERY HUMAN ...... making it to "look right" for a machine (osciloscopes and spectrum analyzers) makes that universal and forced thing....It will always sound THE SAME for 99% of us (wow this is best sound ever ..... whoa)......

I am doing engineering for last 20 years ..... not like a robot but as a being with thought through emotion that i will receive from every result that i achieved.And this coused me to REthink the philosophy of amplification and to start building MY PERSONAL amplifier and not some amplifier that measures great.So i built amp that i feel is good......after more than 15 years.You can bet that this is not about the money.

I am very sharp in engineering and i am making for living from that.....But things are mostly presented to us and we always accepted them as they are presented.Many things in electronics are curved,bended and packed to look right but they are not.From here i cant go deeper in this direction.

All i can say is that true audio is true audio when you hear it and say its true of course if you are healthy and have healthy hearing.Any AC feedback in audio output stage is wrong.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.