Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Ideal copper wire
Ideal copper wire
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Joanito is offline Joanito  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Ideal copper wire

Hello all,
i have a quarter A stereo amplifier of 100w into 8 ohm ( each channel ). What is the ideal copper diameter, not counting the plastic of the wire, for the wires that connect the amplifier to the speakers? My speakers are this kind:
speaker.jpg

Thanks all.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:21 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

What is your speaker impedance?
What is your amplifier to speaker cable length?
What is your amplifier output impedance, across the audio frequency range?
Is your speaker tolerant of variable source impedance?

Think about what answers you might get if your cables were 600mm long into a 16ohms speaker, or 24m long into a 4ohms speaker.
Would you expect similar answers?

Give us/you sufficient information to get close to giving good advice.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

speaker impedance : 8 ohm

amplifier to speaker cable length : about 1,5 meters ( each channel ) and i also wanna know for about 5 meters ( each channel )

amplifier output impedance across the audio frequency range: i dont know, perhaps 3-40 ohm

Is your speaker tolerant of variable source impedance? i dont know

Thank You.
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:40 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanito View Post
..............amplifier output impedance across the audio frequency range: i dont know, perhaps 3-40 ohm

Is your speaker tolerant of variable source impedance? i dont know
These tell me to advise you to use any cable you have lying around.

Whereas
Quote:
speaker impedance : 8 ohm

amplifier to speaker cable length : about 1,5 meters ( each channel )
tells me that anything with 0.5sqmm will do
and
Quote:
for about 5 meters
tells me that >=1sqmm will do.
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:46 PM   #5
starkeyg is offline starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Good article (IMHO) on speaker wire. FWIW: Speaker Cable Gauge (AWG) Guidelines & Recommendations | Audioholics

Greg
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

When we connect the cables in the speakers and in the amplifiers we should smash the most of little cooper wires that form the wire, that we can, right ? ... Because this will allow that more current passes throu those joints, right ?

Is hard wire ( those malleable wires that actually only exists one thick wire inside the plastic ) good for audio connections ?

Thanks all.
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:24 PM   #7
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Ideal copper wire
Default speaker cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanito View Post
....Is hard wire ( those malleable wires that actually only exists one thick wire inside the plastic ) good for audio connections ?Thanks all.
Hi there J: Use search here in DiyAudio, there is a thread with 14,000 replies answering your question and probably 14,000 different comments. You can learn a lot about speaker cables by reading this thread. ...regards, Michael
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:46 PM   #8
john_ellis is offline john_ellis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
we should smash the most of little cooper wires that form the wire
What do you mean? You need to connect all of the small wires that you have available. Usually twisting them together then screwing them onto a terminal, or soldering to a plug works.
Thick wire is OK too, at about 1mm - 1.5mm dia, but most people don't want rigid wiring to their speakers. There is also a "skin effect" which means that there may be a slight increase in impedance at 20kHz, but is not likely to be great. Using stranded wire with wires less than about 0.5mm dia will eliminate this problem for audio.
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

" Is hard wire ( those malleable wires that actually only exists one thick wire inside the plastic ) good for audio connections ? "

I mean: Is solid wire good for audio connections ?

Solid-or-Stranded-wire.jpg

... and i mean if we have a normal copper wire ( not solid ) that have many little cooper wires inside the plastic... , when we connect to the speakers or to the amplifier supouse that only 2 or 3 of these little wires are in actually phisical contact with the connector. That will compromise all the rest, even if the wire is thick ?

Thanks all.

Last edited by Joanito; 22nd November 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:53 PM   #10
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.michael droke View Post
Hi there J: Use search here in DiyAudio, there is a thread with 14,000 replies answering your question and probably 14,000 different comments. You can learn a lot about speaker cables by reading this thread. ...regards, Michael
You can also be misled and confused by people who think speaker wire makes a difference. If the impedance is low enough it dosnt. There's a lot of myth and NO proof.

Ideal copper wireHide this!Advertise here!