Finding a manual focus adapter for a fixed focus phone camera?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to find on on amazon.. All I can find is telescoping zoom adapters. and macro adapters. and wide angle adapters.
But none that simply let you manually focus! I dont want to zoom! Just focus!
My cheap phone just doesnt have focusing ability. and was poorly focused in the factory so all my pictures are blurry and not sharp.

Where can I find one to only focus with. something preferably that clips on.

Zoom and macro dont help. I want a non-zoomed scene to be in focus and clear. and not up close. just a foot to a few feet away. its blurry even on the sharpest "sharpness" setting.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Reading glasses. $1 at Dollar Tree, $3 at Dollar General, $16 at RiteAid. Or in the crack in old folks' couches.

"Fixed focus" cameras are focused for near infinity. A "+1" reading lens will make near 40 inches. A "+2" 20 inches, "+3" 13 inches.

Magnifying lenses are rated different. A "5X" makes infinity happen near 2 inches, a "10X" makes about 1 inch. Tape the lens to the camera and adjust subject-camera distance for focus.

Or just get a less-junk camera. I am very pleased with a $69 Android phone.

I dont want to zoom. just adjust the focus seperately.
Like a lens that only changes the focus.
Where can I get that?? Please?

Also my phone was a free ZTE QLINK wireless type phone. (obama phone basically)
Its very basic and featureless. No flash option no front camera. and fixed focus camera.
Not the best quality camera because its out of focus and somewhat blurry.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The reading glass trick isn't a zoom. It's' worth trying some different magnification to see if it helps. Just go to the drug store and shoot a few photos thru them.

My mildprescription for distance viewing is the opposite, like a wide view mirror. It makes things slightly smaller, but much clearer.

I dont want to zoom. just adjust the focus seperately.
Like a lens that only changes the focus.
The reading glass suggestion does *exactly* that and nothing else.

If you want to continuously adjust focus by hand, at will, then you must dismount the current lens in your phone , make a helical adjustable mount (vulgo: fine pitch thread which lets you continuously adjust lens-to-sensor distance) which is what realcameras do.

IF lens is separated from sensor (or film) by its own focal length, then camera is focused at infinity (scenery pictures), IF twice focal length then it´s at an extreme Macro setting where object and image are same size (1:1) ; any setting in between will cover the full range of any adjustable focus camera and then some.

If you know a skilled mechanic, preferrably somebody used to work on clocks and such, he will be able to make such a custom adjustable mount for you.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then you will have to try corrective lenses, just like with eyes.
I can't think you'll find the attachment you are looking for, as all cameras are supposed to be focused on something. Why would there be an attachment for a function that's built in?
Is it possible to go to the place where you got the phone and check it against another of the same model? See if another will focus correctly.

No I checked the model already and it simply does not support focusing ability.
Doesnt even have the physical ability to focus the camera. It is literally just put together.

ZTE Qlink wireless phone very basic model with limited features. No flash.

Camera app doesnt have any focus ability either. and seems like a really stripped down simplified version..

tried a camera app that I know does have focus ability. but it did not become active when i installed it. The option was "not there" where it should be.

SO i'm pretty sure its a fixed focus camera. Which really stinks.

I didnt "get" the phone from a place.. Unless you count my mailbox. because it came for free in the mail.. its a free android phone. You get what you pay for.. Which means barely diddly squat..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No I checked the model already and it simply does not support focusing ability.
Yes, that's understood. But fixed focus means that somehow, somewhere, the image will be in focus. That what was mentioned before in the description of hyperfocal distance. Just like the old Instamatic camera didn't have a focus control, just generally everything was in focus.

But if yours does not focus on anything at all, then it's defective. You'll either have to get it replaced, repaired or buy glasses for it. ;)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The model number cited suggests a very low cost phone that was supplied "free" to members of certain plans. This may be similar to the "free" piece of junk I was shipped when the 2G networks in my area all turned to 4G. Yes, it was a 4G phone, but lacking MOST of the features I had PAID for a few years earlier. I never even powered it up; which is why I have a $69 (a day's wages, if I worked) BYOP Android that works mostly OK and takes good pictures.

The whole "cellphone" thing is amazing to me. When I was a boy, [Grumpy Old Man Mode]the phone was in the living room, or took a dime in the drug-store. Only Dick Tracy had a wrist-radio. The new transistor radios were AM only and 10X thicker than a cellfone. A camera was much bigger than that and it took weeks to get pictures back (but they DID focus, at 4 feet). A TV was as big as an arm-chair and $400 (OK you could get a BW small-screen with a handle for $99). Maps folded-out but never folded-back, and didn't tell you where you were. Mail-order was not one-click one-day gratification.[/Grumpy Old Man Mode]

Trying to find on on amazon.. All I can find is telescoping zoom adapters. and macro adapters. and wide angle adapters.
But none that simply let you manually focus! I dont want to zoom! Just focus!
My cheap phone just doesnt have focusing ability. and was poorly focused in the factory so all my pictures are blurry and not sharp.

Where can I find one to only focus with. something preferably that clips on.

Zoom and macro dont help. I want a non-zoomed scene to be in focus and clear. and not up close. just a foot to a few feet away. its blurry even on the sharpest "sharpness" setting.
You got a cheaper than cheap, a free phone ... what did you expect? :rolleyes:
But fixed focus means that somehow, somewhere, the image will be in focus. That what was mentioned before in the description of hyperfocal distance. Just like the old Instamatic camera didn't have a focus control, just generally everything was in focus.
That´s exactly how "focus free" snapshot cameras and 99.999% of cell phone cameras work.
Your phone is not "out of focus" but simply crummy cheap ... did I say "free phone¨" :rolleyes:
But if yours does not focus on anything at all, then it's defective. You'll either have to get it replaced, repaired or buy glasses for it.
That´s the whole point.

Its only out of focus around two feet or less. but thats still lame and theres no way anyone could usably take a "selfie" on this phone at all. would look horrible unless you had super bright studio lighting or something at the perfect angle

if I have the sharpness option on minimum it looks REALLY blurry
on medium its "not good but not bad but still looks "slightly out of focus" on maximum sharpness it looks like too much contrast around edges and not good.

I have a USB microsoft 1000 webcam with manual focus and I can focus that sucker so good it puts my phones camera's focus at 1 to 3 feet put to shame. and its at only 640x480 resolution capability
while my phone takes pics of up to 1600x1200 and still focuses worse around 1 to 3 feet

And thats with NO zoom level.

my phone has bluetooth and wifi but I rarely use it for that even. and i rarely actually use my phone anyways. I'm on my computer nearly 100% of the time.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> around two feet or less.

2 feet: "+1.5 readers"
1 foot: "+3 readers"

This is JUST like the old fixed-focus Kodaks. Focus was 4 feet. f/stop was small so depth of field ran out to infinity good-enough and in to almost 2 feet, no closer.

Its only out of focus around two feet or less. .............
Does that mean it is in focus at all distances longer than 2feet?

Then it will take a selfie if you hold the camera at a distance longer than 2feet.
and it will allow pictures at much longer distances.

If you need focus closer than 2feet then you need to add on a close up lens (+dioptre)
You can buy dioptre in 1/4 steps.
0.25dioptre changes an infinite focus to 4m (= 1/0.25)
0.5dioptre changes an infinite focus to 2m (= 1/0.5)

If the camera is already in focus at 10m but slightly out of focus at other distances, then you can think of the lens as being at infinity with a +0.1dioptre close up lens added.
This 10m focus camera with a +0.25dioptre close up added will behave like an infinity focus + (+0.1 +0.25) = +0.35dioptre.
This will focus at 1/0.35 = 2.86m instead of @ 10m

Its only out of focus around two feet or less.
Then it is working fine,like any and all other fixed focus cameras.
What did you expect?
but thats still lame and theres no way anyone could usably take a "selfie" on this phone at all.
it will work very well taking "normal", say waist to head selfies, from 2 ft away or more.
Now if you want to, say, your nose to fill the frame, then you will need close up or macro lenses ... like on any other camera.
would look horrible unless you had super bright studio lighting or something at the perfect angle
define "horrible" :rolleyes:
now we drifted from a Tech problem to a "taste" one.

if I have the sharpness option on minimum it looks REALLY blurry
on medium its "not good but not bad but still looks "slightly out of focus" on maximum sharpness it looks like too much contrast around edges and not good.
Digital post processing can improve a poor image but Magic is out of the question.

I have a USB microsoft 1000 webcam with manual focus and I can focus that sucker so good it puts my phones camera's focus at 1 to 3 feet put to shame. and its at only 640x480 resolution capability
There. You answered your own question.

while my phone takes pics of up to 1600x1200 and still focuses worse around 1 to 3 feet
It would be very unrealistic to expect otherwise.

I'm on my computer nearly 100% of the time.
I noticed that.

Which means that you don´t actually NEED your phone at all :rolleyes:
Just plug that HP USB ***manual focus*** camera into your computer and take all well focused selfies you want, zooming in on details as you wish.

if I were to hold it at arms length and take a pic. it would be blurry not only because its slightly out of focus still at that range but also because the slow exposure
if the phone is moving even a tiny bit it gets super blurry.
You have to have it sitting against a block of concrete or something that doesnt pick up any vibrations to get rid of that exposure blur!
Or a tripod at least
but I dont have a tripod

nearly 100% of everyone elses phones even fixed focus still focus much better at 0 to 2 feet

if I were to have just my face from my neck up in view when taking a picture it would be blurry from being out of focus slightly.

I'm not talking about just my nose being in view
You literally cant take a good selfie or anything for example. its just crappily out of focus anywhere closer than about 2 feet!

And even past 2 feet it only gets a smidge better and not really anymore. You need to turn the sharpness setting waaay up to get things to appear to be in focus anywhere near 2 feet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.